Time Wasting

Begovic was time wasting from goal kicks after 35 seconds!!!!! I kid you not. The ball went out virtually from kick off, he then messed about checking the pressure of the ball, adjusted his shin pads, checked his boots, altered his run up and wasted a good 15-20 seconds. He did this continuously and on one occasion the ball was rolling to him off the pitch and he purposely let it run behind him and behind the goal, shocking tactics. We didn't help ourselves at times but the comments re Joe Hart wasting time have obviously been made by someone who wasn't at the game. His distribution was mediocre to say the least but he was trying to speed the game up and had a go at a few players who were not showing for the ball as soon as he had it. Stoke = Football haters.

AshtonBlueMooner said:
Begovic was time wasting from goal kicks after 35 seconds!!!!! I kid you not. The ball went out virtually from kick off, he then messed about checking the pressure of the ball, adjusted his shin pads, checked his boots, altered his run up and wasted a good 15-20 seconds. He did this continuously and on one occasion the ball was rolling to him off the pitch and he purposely let it run behind him and behind the goal, shocking tactics. We didn't help ourselves at times but the comments re Joe Hart wasting time have obviously been made by someone who wasn't at the game. His distribution was mediocre to say the least but he was trying to speed the game up and had a go at a few players who were not showing for the ball as soon as he had it. Stoke = Football haters.

A couple of years ago I remember seeing a statisitic that there had been three matches in that particular season that had less than 44 minutes ball in play time and that Stoke were involved in two of them.

foxy said:
we usually play with one ball in the Premier League.

We don't "usually," we always have only one ball in play in the Premier League.

There was a time when the home team were given a choice whether to use one or multi ball.

This was stopped when the Everton manager, who's name escapes me, ordered someone to collect all the spare balls and switch to one ball, when they took the lead part way through a game. Ironically against Manchester United.

I mentioned to my mate at the match yesterday, what I thought would make football more interesting, was to adopt a similar approach to a conversion in rugby.
Wherever the try is scored, the conversion is taken in line with it, therefore wherever the football goes off the pitch for a goal kick, that's where it should be taken from.
He laughed (as did my 14 yr old son) and ridiculed it a little, but I can see positives for the attacking side and it would also prevent defenders from kicking the ball off the opposing player after shielding it near the corner flag, pissing about near the end of games.
The keeper would have to rush back to his area after kicking it, or the defender would have to rush out after kicking it, trying to prevent "goal-hanging" striker from scoring in an advanced on side position...... just a thought :D

bluemc1 said:
Does anyone know why the rule changed that goal kicks had to be taken from the side the ball went out ? BRING IT BACK, if it goes over the bar the ref just points to the side it has to be taken, even bring in a spot on each side where it has to be from.
i know we have done it and still would at certain times it just really winds me up and when Stoke had the nerve to complain late on yesterday GGGGGGggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have the complete answer to this time wasting. How many teams have come to The Etihad, and yer can see from the first goal kick that the goalie is gonna waste as much time as the whistling wanker allows him. Two minute goal kicks where the goalie enters some mystical Oriental ceremony of walking slowly to collect the ball, traipsing at snail's pace and placing the ball as far as he can within the goal area from where he has retrieved the ball, scrutinising the ball as an expert would a UXB, aligning the ball so that the full truth of feng shui can be gleaned from this goal kick, waiting until the referee waves a casual arm that he is quite happy with this tomfoolery, and which has generated probably one of the loudest roars of disapproval from the home fans, and then boots the ball as high as he can get it.

Five seconds to return the ball into play. Any longer and possession switches to the other team. No more time wasting, no more occasions where a two-half, ninety minute match renders about 59 minutes of ball in play. One of the biggest jokes still remaining in the game. It needs sorting, but FICKFUFA are just not upto the job.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
blueinsa said:
blue b4 the moon said:
Injury time with 2 pretty long stoppages and Sjoke timewasting with us on top especially towards half time 2 mins.

Second half City winning no injuries less time wasting and a few sub's 4 minutes.

Foy is a cock.

Said the exact same thing.

Fucking joke and the **** let play go on for an extra minute because Stoke had the ball and were pressing for an equalizer!

When injury time was announced there was a stoppage in play. It was 90 mins 54 seconds on the games screen clock when play started, so an extra minute was about right.
<br /><br />-- Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 pm --<br /><br />
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
bluemc1 said:
Does anyone know why the rule changed that goal kicks had to be taken from the side the ball went out ? BRING IT BACK, if it goes over the bar the ref just points to the side it has to be taken, even bring in a spot on each side where it has to be from.
i know we have done it and still would at certain times it just really winds me up and when Stoke had the nerve to complain late on yesterday GGGGGGggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have the complete answer to this time wasting. How many teams have come to The Etihad, and yer can see from the first goal kick that the goalie is gonna waste as much time as the whistling wanker allows him. Two minute goal kicks where the goalie enters some mystical Oriental ceremony of walking slowly to collect the ball, traipsing at snail's pace and placing the ball as far as he can within the goal area from where he has retrieved the ball, scrutinising the ball as an expert would a UXB, aligning the ball so that the full truth of feng shui can be gleaned from this goal kick, waiting until the referee waves a casual arm that he is quite happy with this tomfoolery, and which has generated probably one of the loudest roars of disapproval from the home fans, and then boots the ball as high as he can get it.
Five seconds to return the ball into play. Any longer and possession switches to the other team. No more time wasting, no more occasions where a two-half, ninety minute match renders about 59 minutes of ball in play. One of the biggest jokes still remaining in the game. It needs sorting, but FICKFUFA are just not upto the job.

You have just described Tim Howard perfectly.

If we adopt the 'ball in play' strategy will there be a requirement to have the time displayed on the scoreboard so that the early leavers know exactly how long there is left? It may take them a few games to adjust and it's going to be chaos around the ground with people not knowing what time to leave ;-)

It changed the same season patting it down and picking it up was also stopped - it was before pass backs not being allowed to be handled - therefore I am pretty sure it was July 1991 in England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.