Tips and experiences with cutting back on alchohol

Get addicted to something stronger like heroin, you won't touch another drop of booze after that!

In all seriousness, from my own experiences:

1) Make an effort to be healthy in all senses. So eat healthily (good nutritional balance, lots of veg and clean meats, drink primarily water, cut out the shit etc), do a bit of exercise, get a good amount of sleep, do a few productive things to keep your mind sharp, maybe read something. I find that when I do ALL of this stuff, then magically a lot of my cravings go on the wane. It takes less effort than you think to do all of these in small quantities and the effects are surprisingly excellent.

2) Keep busy, especially at night. Boredom is your worst enemy.

3) If you really don't need the help like you're suggesting you don't, then a simple solution would be to have some restraint. Next time you're having a meal then just don't pick up the bottle. Next time you're offered a drink just say no. Maybe understand that there's no real excuse to have a drink and it's entirely within your control. If it isn't however, and you just can't help it, then you absolutely could do with the help. You should never be too proud to seek help, and in fact you should have pride that you've picked up upon alcoholic tendencies nice and early before you've done any real harm to your life. If need be get the help, and nip it in the bud properly.

4) Talk to a professional. Your local nurse should suffice. There are people out there who are trained to talk about/manage this and have all manners of plans and solutions and ways of understanding things suitable to you that a bunch of no-face bozos on a football forum almost certainly can't provide.

Since my mother passed away; I have noticed that I am drinking much more regularly through the week, beers or a bottle of red wine every other night. It feels there is always a reason to pop open a bottle of red, if I'm cooking a nice meal / pasta etc. or if there is a match on the box
It's got to the point where offcourse sometimes it is amazing and I do enjoy it at the time but it's not really something special now more habitual.

I tend to drink excessively when City are playing and I'm down at the matches alone (if not travelling with my daughter.) I actually think I use this as a defensive mechanism to help relieve stress and tension and helps me get involved wth the chants and banter. I found the run in very stressful and sure I used drink as a way to help me relax

Looking to cut out booze until the start of the season as I really enjoy the social aspect during the football.

Any recommendations on how to cut out the booze through the week and save my enjoyment for drinking at the footie?

Drinking is not currently causing any problems with family and work but know it would save us a fortune if you consider expenditure is probably between £20 - 40 a week before including weekend football outings

I'm not looking at going to see AA, Samaritans, rehab etc. As I don't believe I need this level of help.

Expecting posts to tell me to man up but appreciate any advise and if anyone else in a similar routine.
I drank at least a bottle of red a night for about six years, was never wasted, never hungover, didn’t interfere with my home life but I noticed it around my waste-line so I binned it off for a bit at the start of April. Since then I’ve allowed myself three bottles of beer when we won the league and my aim is to stay off the pop until I go on holiday in July.

If you can, join a gym or do a bit of running. For me, watching the weight fall off (11 kilos) has been the best bit and very motivating.

I was exactly the same as you (“oh it’s red meat, has to be red wine, oh it’s pasta, has to be a bottle of red, oh it’s tuesday, let’s have some red”) so now I have sparking water and either a whole lime or lemon cut up into it with some ice. Sounds dull and it is but I’m sleeping better and feeling better. Once you’re past the first week or two then you’ll mainly forget about it.

I don’t agree with the people that say don’t have booze in the house though, I like to know that no one is forcing me to do this and that I’ve got drink in IF I need it. Makes it a lot easier for me.

I was drinking 4 cans of cold Lager most evenings, and by early evening I was desperate for a drink. Substituted Lager for fizzy water, with a drop of lime or whatever. Seemed that what I needed was cold and refreshing rather than the actual alcohol. I try to do that 4 nights a week now.
That's so true, we often mistake thirst with needing an alcoholic drink

It is not just cutting down on the beer, clearly the death of your mother has affected (effected ?) you, perhaps more than you are admitting. Have you talked to family about how it is a(e)ffecting you ? If you sort out that issue the drinking may not be needed. What I am trying to say is tackle the cause if that makes sense.
look at the big brain on you, good point

for once

Discover the world of green and fruit teas, especially evening drinking. Reward yourself with a few beers at the weekend.

You are very welcome. I wouldn't normally go after someone for spelling or grammar but you had a question mark so I thought I would wade in.

No problem, I couldn't work out which was which hence the use of both words. I also don't know when too should be used but lets not go there, if fact lets, if he taught me English grammar he wouldn't have time to drink.

Oh and my spelling is shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.