Tips and experiences with cutting back on alchohol

Since my mother passed away; I have noticed that I am drinking much more regularly through the week, beers or a bottle of red wine every other night. It feels there is always a reason to pop open a bottle of red, if I'm cooking a nice meal / pasta etc. or if there is a match on the box
It's got to the point where offcourse sometimes it is amazing and I do enjoy it at the time but it's not really something special now more habitual.

I tend to drink excessively when City are playing and I'm down at the matches alone (if not travelling with my daughter.) I actually think I use this as a defensive mechanism to help relieve stress and tension and helps me get involved wth the chants and banter. I found the run in very stressful and sure I used drink as a way to help me relax

Looking to cut out booze until the start of the season as I really enjoy the social aspect during the football.

Any recommendations on how to cut out the booze through the week and save my enjoyment for drinking at the footie?

Drinking is not currently causing any problems with family and work but know it would save us a fortune if you consider expenditure is probably between £20 - 40 a week before including weekend football outings

I'm not looking at going to see AA, Samaritans, rehab etc. As I don't believe I need this level of help.

Expecting posts to tell me to man up but appreciate any advise and if anyone else in a similar routine.
Hi, it maybe not much help, but its clearly obvious that you are not the only one wanting to cut down, and I include myself in that group. However i think there is some great advice in this thread which personally I am going to try and take on board. Best of luck.

Thanks for responding.

Guess what? At least you have been asked! Everyone on BM just assumes I am a Teacher lol. Not like anyone could have a surname of Teacher, is it?

Truth is, I was given the nickname of The Teacher (D Teacher) by some of my office staff, because I was supposedly always correcting errors in spelling and grammar! I did study English as part of my degree at University and teaching should probably have been my vocation.

My childhood also helped, in that I was avaricious in my devouring of newspapers which my father let me read, once I had completed my paper round for his shop. All the papers and half a litre of Walls Raspberry Ripple Ice cream ;) Happy days.

P.S. My son is also a Doctor and, er, works at CITY. :)
Honesty is the best policy. Assuming that an assumed title is in no way dishonest. Honest guv.

Since my mother passed away; I have noticed that I am drinking much more regularly through the week, beers or a bottle of red wine every other night. It feels there is always a reason to pop open a bottle of red, if I'm cooking a nice meal / pasta etc. or if there is a match on the box
It's got to the point where offcourse sometimes it is amazing and I do enjoy it at the time but it's not really something special now more habitual.

I tend to drink excessively when City are playing and I'm down at the matches alone (if not travelling with my daughter.) I actually think I use this as a defensive mechanism to help relieve stress and tension and helps me get involved wth the chants and banter. I found the run in very stressful and sure I used drink as a way to help me relax

Looking to cut out booze until the start of the season as I really enjoy the social aspect during the football.

Any recommendations on how to cut out the booze through the week and save my enjoyment for drinking at the footie?

Drinking is not currently causing any problems with family and work but know it would save us a fortune if you consider expenditure is probably between £20 - 40 a week before including weekend football outings

I'm not looking at going to see AA, Samaritans, rehab etc. As I don't believe I need this level of help.

Expecting posts to tell me to man up but appreciate any advise and if anyone else in a similar routine.

09:02AM

Someone woke up with a hangover! Interesting thread as I share a red with the wife almost every night, and sometimes two or a couple of beers afterwards. Some days I feel fine, others not so much but having no alcohol in the house isn't an option as I have loads of wine and even more spirits (which I don't touch so are for visitors). I know I need to cut back and sometimes we can but like you it's habit to enjoy a glass or two with Pasta etc.

I never drink in the week, I just can’t function at work properly if I do so I find it an easy thing to do, weekends I can go a bit daft especially during the football season!

I’m in a very similar place to you. But maybe a bit further down the line. For me, it is about seeing the positives that cutting down on booze can bring. That is simply feeling a hell of a lot better after a few days off the ale. It’s like night and day. And remembering this feeling. It’s just about chipping away at it to begin with and going from there. Remember how good you felt after a few days sober.

Going out for a bit of a run can do wonders as well, particularly on a Monday night when you are on edge, feeling shit and crying out for a beer. Put your trainers on and go through the door. Knowing you are going home to some nice food or a non alcoholic drink rather than a beer. You don’t need it.

Do not reward yourself with alcohol after doing something you feel is difficult or taxing, you’ll find all kind of reasons.

Your mental health will thank you too. I was low as anything before I moved away. Pub every night taking job rejections personally then that Liverpool / United / Liverpool week from hell the other season. I began to do other things and my happiness picked up.

could murder a beer right now, Not having a beer on a Friday night after work seems weird

Thanks for all the advice, been working well so far

could murder a beer right now, Not having a beer on a Friday night after work seems weird

Thanks for all the advice, been working well so far
Wait till you wake up tomorrow you will feel miles better for not having one.
Back to my red wine but envious of your clear head in the morning.

Wait till you wake up tomorrow you will feel miles better for not having one.
Back to my red wine but envious of your clear head in the morning.

Yeah opted for water, funny how I can easy drink twenty pints of beer but a few pints of water seems to take ages to get through.

Yeah going to get up early and make the most of the day, enjoy your delicious red!

Yeah opted for water, funny how I can easy drink twenty pints of beer but a few pints of water seems to take ages to get through.

Yeah going to get up early and make the most of the day, enjoy your delicious red!
Gonna be a slog tomorrow-won't even be able to do a park run -got to get back on the water!
Enjoy mate but its going to be pissing it down!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.