Tips on how to focus

Swales lives

I know it'a over still I cling, I don't know where
I work from home a fair bit. When I'm doing work for clients, it's no problem - but when I'm doing stuff for myself (new ideas/ventures), I get distracted very easily and don't see things through.

Things like the dog, laundry/school-run and preparing the tea, do get in the way. These aside, I should have a clear 4-5hrs to myself, enough time to get my head down and focus. But I end up coming on here, doing about an hours work and and wasting my time.

How do you other people manage to remain focussed or do you all waste your time?

CTID1988 said:
A drop of tabasco on the finger, then insert that into the anus

You shall now be known forevermore as the tabasco guru.

Forget all those tantric positions of calm and enlightenment.

Forget the teachings of Buddhist masters.

Just pop a bit of hot sauce on your finger and have a fumble.....JOB DONE ;-)

I spend all day wasting my time ... in fact I spend all week wasting it too .

I like to get to bed early .... then I can get up earlier in the morning and start wasting my time in good time !

I read somewhere that distractions occur because you think of the task as a whole so do something that's easier eg. make a sandwich. The solution is to break each task into, for lack of a better word, sub tasks which are easier to complete.

If you are going to eat an elephant do it one bite at a time.

Pick something that you want to accomplish tomorrow. Do it before coming on here. Once you have done it reward yourself with a brew and a biscuit and say, half an hour on here.

Do the same thing the day after etc. Once you have done this pick 2 things or a longer task in stages and once you have got so far through the task reward yourself. Never allow yourself the reward until you have accomplished something.

If you are doing something creative put yourself in a good mood first but you have to structure it. Kids/ dog etc are your priority. You feel good when you've come back from taking them to school or taken the dog for a walk.

Try to do the constructive ideas thing when you are walking the dog and getting some fresh air. Record ideas on your phone voice recorder or take a dictaphone if you are still living in the 80's.

Good idea to record your ideas wherever you are so that when you are in the home office wanting to come up with ideas listen back to the bollocks that you thought up whilst waiting for the kids at the school gate yesterday and it will get the creative juices flowing.

Just remember your reward only follows action.

Edit: Can't believe Leithblue posted that sketch as I was writing this. Absolutely PMSL at the 'reward' bit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.