Tommy Booth = legend

My mum went to the same school as Tommy (Although she is 3 years younger)

When we won the league in 2014 we all went back to Mother Mac's in town for a piss up. The place was rocking and the Norwegian fans had their guitars out signing Oasis songs. About halfway through the night in walked Tommy still wearing his City Suit! He stayed for a couple of hours drinking and talking with people (He may of also of joined in a few songs as well!) He spoke to my dad for a bit who was absolutely made up.

Top bloke Tommy

The only time I think I saw Tommy Booth score 'live' was at that FA Cup match at Peterborough in 1981. Crammed in like sardines that day, good celebrations when we scored (probably relief ,thinking about the losses to 3rd Division Shrewsbury and 4th Division Halifax in the previous 2 seasons).
Was also lucky enough to be there as he Headed Donachie's cross back accross goal for Tuearts famous overhead kick in the 76 League Cup Final for an 'assist' (not that it was probably called that at the time)
Bloody hell, I remember hearing the Piccadilly Radio updates and n the Halifax game. Divisions aside, conceding 4 was an absolute battering in those days (it is now, but we’re used to more regular extremes I think).
Excruciating to a kid, especially as it was being listened to in the shell of the temporary kitchen, in the dark - a sense of desolation surrounded me; exposed floorboards and plaster didn’t look great and had little insulation, but at least there was the consolation of the smell of timber and fresh plaster.
Little did I know far worse was to come. :)

I got his autograph in 1971 in the Middleton Building Society on Long Street Middleton and have dined out on that story ever since, I was thirteen
Not a great story tbh, but the only one I've got
I’ll be asking my Dad if he’s got any stories on Tommy now - he worked in Middleton from 71 until the mid eighties.

Apparently lawyers move in influential circles ;-)))

His first game 9th October 68 v Arsenal 1-1,first goal December same year home v Coventry.Also remember him scoring the winner home to Chelsea 72 when we we're going for the title but we fell just short at the end.
He did play at Huddersfield away in the League Cup on 3rd September 1968.

He soon replaced George Heslop as first choice at number 5.

Not much beats this for weirdness - the legend that is Tommy Booth delivering our replacement Video recorder from Granada Rentals in 1993! And me still in my pjs. And mum oblvious to who it was til I embarrassingly said ( her reason was well you wouldn't expect it to be him!). Last time we met him outside the stadium he said do you still live down that culdesac! How memorable must me and my mum be eh ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.