Tony Towers?

Pigeonho

In the King's Head, waiting for the Queen's legs t
Just had that BT Infinity installed and got talking to the lad doing it. Turns out we were at school together in the mid 80's. He started saying how he was only here for 6 months as he moved to Tampa. He then said about how his dad was a footballer and at the end of his career went to America. 'Who was you dad mate?', I asked. 'Tony Towers', he replied.
Went on to say he was here during Marsh's era and Tueart.
Anyone remember him? Actually felt embarrassed when the obvious look of , 'sorry mate never heard of him' was etched on my face!

Pigeonho said:
Just had that BT Infinity installed and got talking to the lad doing it. Turns out we were at school together in the mid 80's. He started saying how he was only here for 6 months as he moved to Tampa. He then said about how his dad was a footballer and at the end of his career went to America. 'Who was you dad mate?', I asked. 'Tony Towers', he replied.
Anyone remember him? Actually felt embarrassed when the obvious look of , 'sorry mate never heard of him' was etched on my face!

Call yourself a Blue, Pidge?

Played a good few games early 70s. Before my time but I know my City history.

Didsbury Dave said:
Pigeonho said:

Call yourself a Blue, Pidge?

Played a good few games early 70s. Before my time but I know my City history.
Don't worry DD, i've slapped my wrists good and proper!

Tony Towers was class mate - I loved him

He went to Sunderland as part of the Dennis Tueart/Micky Horswill deal (although he never wanted to go)

I was gutted when he went

He never reached his true potential despite playing 3 times for England

yea tony scored a vital winner in the cup winners cup in extra time at maine road, the year we won it, i think tony moved to sunderland in a make weight deal for dennis tueart and mick horsewill, great player very underated, played right midfield?

Tony Towers was a very good hard player for City, the last time I spoke to him he was the Manager at Whitefield Golf Club and drinks in the Eagle & Child also in Whitefield.

Pigeonho said:

i remember him very well , did a great job for us, local lad and played that way, city meant something to him.i think he was from moston.
did he not go to sunderland as part of the tuert/ watson /horswill deal?

I remember him, he played about the same time as: Ray Ranson, Bobby MacDonald, Nicky Reid et al. Just into the John Bond era I believe which ironically was after Big Mal's last stint (RIP and God bless him). He had a tash reminiscent of Gerry Gow and Kenny Clements. He was a midfielder I think though he didn't play too many games that I saw back then, he was a squad player reall. Then again there wasn't after that FA Cup Final v Spuds :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.