Tony Towers?

I played against Tony towers when we were at school. Dirty centre half he was. No class at all...

I rember Tony Towers well, he was excellent but polarised City fans ( whats new ). A lot of fans used him as a "whipping boy" for bad performances and the debate over Tony caused many real and I mean real fights between City fans. He went on to play for England after he left us and like Ian Bowyer was one that got away through our own fault.

I heard a funny tale about TT. Apparently Malcolm Allison told him that as part of the deal to bring Tueart to City, Allison would give Tony £10k and Swales would give him £10k.

Several years later Tony was at a do at Maine Rd and Swales waved to him saying "How you doing Tony?"

Tony responded with "I'd be a lot better if you paid me that ten grand you owe me!"

At least Big Malc paid up.

Greenjob said:
I remember him, he played about the same time as: Ray Ranson, Bobby MacDonald, Nicky Reid et al. Just into the John Bond era I believe which ironically was after Big Mal's last stint (RIP and God bless him). He had a tash reminiscent of Gerry Gow and Kenny Clements. He was a midfielder I think though he didn't play too many games that I saw back then, he was a squad player reall. Then again there wasn't after that FA Cup Final v Spuds :-(
think you mite be getting mixed up mate he wasnt around then

rodney marsh took his place in the city team thats why we did not win the league that year we were doing well till that happened he was a very good mid field player

Greenjob said:
I remember him, he played about the same time as: Ray Ranson, Bobby MacDonald, Nicky Reid et al. Just into the John Bond era I believe which ironically was after Big Mal's last stint (RIP and God bless him). He had a tash reminiscent of Gerry Gow and Kenny Clements. He was a midfielder I think though he didn't play too many games that I saw back then, he was a squad player reall. Then again there wasn't after that FA Cup Final v Spuds :-(

Nah mate - think you're mixing him up with Dave Bennett.

Tony was a good player for City playing 25-30 games a season and rarely was a sub. Unfortunately for him he was surrounded by stars. Good passer, good tackler, great team player. And of course City fans whinged at him because he was not Bell, Lee or Summerbee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.