Tony Whelan

stan bowles

Just seen a team photo on Twitter of City which I am guessing is from summer 1973 (?) and noticed this guy sat next to Frannie Lee on the front row. I'd never heard of him before and wondered if anyone could add any more details about him.

He played for both city and united, not many games for either. He also played in the old American League at the same time as pele... I know cos I went school with his son.. Lived in south Manchester, net him a few times as he managed my school football team for a while... Lovely guy !

le singe blu said:
He played for both city and united, not many games for either. He also played in the old American League at the same time as pele... I know cos I went school with his son.. Lived in south Manchester, net him a few times as he managed my school football team for a while... Lovely guy !
Ahemm ? NICE GUY NO NAME WAT THE FUURRRFFF lol<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 pm --<br /><br />
billfromthehill said:
le singe blu said:
Ahemm ? NICE GUY NO NAME WAT THE FUURRRFFF lol
I hope he was good ha ha I loved him bollox if he was good

le singe blu said:

He played for us ? What position ? Amazing when you discover someone you'd never heard of before sat amongst all those legends on the pre-season team photo.

Striker, played in my first ever game v Arsenal Maine Road 1972/3 for injured Francis Lee.

Apparently was at Rags playing for youth team on Saturday mornings and stood on the Kippax watching City on a Saturday afternoon, a massive Blue by all accounts.

spacecadet said:
Striker, played in my first ever game v Arsenal Maine Road 1972/3 for injured Francis Lee.

Apparently was at Rags playing for youth team on Saturday mornings and stood on the Kippax watching City on a Saturday afternoon, a massive Blue by all accounts.

Works as one of the top coaches at their academy now. Met him on many occasions and if he is a blue he never let on to me, in fact I used to wind him up saying he was a blue and he just told me to where to go.

He is very high up in the Rags academy and is still a nice bloke<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 pm --<br /><br />
True_Blue69 said:
spacecadet said:

Works as one of the top coaches at their academy now. Met him on many occasions and if he is a blue he never let on to me, in fact I used to wind him up saying he was a blue and he just told me to where to go.
He is a die hard red

big blueballs said:
He is very high up in the Rags academy and is still a nice bloke

-- Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 pm --

True_Blue69 said:
spacecadet said:

He is a die hard red

Stand corrected- rest of my yarn is true.

Tony lived opposite me in Wythenshawe as a school kid and used to play kick around football with us on the school fields. We would go to home and away games following City, he was a fanatic Blue and a character on the Kippax but signed for the rags from school.
He didn't make it with the rags but did well in USA.
Big Mal signed him for City at the first opportunity and gave him his debut at Maine Road, he got a great reception from the Kippax.
I understand he is now in a top position with the rag academy and has won national awards, I remember him fondly when we were young, he is a lovely person and a true gentleman.

Shirley said:
Tony lived opposite me in Wythenshawe as a school kid and used to play kick around football with us on the school fields. We would go to home and away games following City, he was a fanatic Blue and a character on the Kippax but signed for the rags from school.
He didn't make it with the rags but did well in USA.
Big Mal signed him for City at the first opportunity and gave him his debut at Maine Road, he got a great reception from the Kippax.
I understand he is now in a top position with the rag academy and has won national awards, I remember him fondly when we were young, he is a lovely person and a true gentleman.
Well you learn something every day....I will be giving him a bit of a ribbing when I see him next as he is always giving me stick for being a blue and it turns out he was one many moons ago....I always thought he had a soft spot for City but would never admit to it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.