Too Much Too Young

I remember when Francis Jeffers was the next big thing, he ended up having an absolutely wank career

Sometimes it's down to injuries and sometimes it's how the player and club look after himselfs.

Watched the Charlton 5-1 game last week and I completely forgot that Rob Lee played in that game. He was 17 but made his debut 18 months earlier at 15 and carried on playing till 2006 so he was a professional for 23 years

Briggs, owen, Fowler all had their careers compromised and played too much to young.
And yet..Colin Bell started out at 18 years of age.Captain of Bury FC
Francis Henry Lee turned out on the right wing for Bolton Wanderers at the age of 16.
Glyn Pardoe made his debut for City aged 15.
Bell and Pardoe had very bad injuries which shortened their careers,both injuries ,by the way inflicted by utd players...Buchan and Best....but starting young didn't have any negative affect on their careers.
Bell of course,was signed by City.....the following season ,Bury were relegated from the old 2nd division....It appeared that Bell their captain and best player had been carrying them..so he was in the team on merit despite his inexperience ,due to his quality...if your good enough ,your old enough,used to be the mantra.....

I've spoken to old Brummie fans about Trevor Francis,in their first team at 16.Their eyes light up when they remember the fleet footed forward who scored 4 goals in one match against Ipswich,iirrc
4 goals.as a 16 year old in the old 1st division!
If you are good enough,..your old enough.

And yet..Colin Bell started out at 18 years of age.Captain of Bury FC
Francis Henry Lee turned out on the right wing for Bolton Wanderers at the age of 16.
Glyn Pardoe made his debut for City aged 15.
Bell and Pardoe had very bad injuries which shortened their careers,both injuries ,by the way inflicted by utd players...Buchan and Best....but starting young didn't have any negative affect on their careers.
Bell of course,was signed by City.....the following season ,Bury were relegated from the old 2nd division....It appeared that Bell their captain and best player had been carrying them..so he was in the team on merit despite his inexperience ,due to his quality...if your good enough ,your old enough,used to be the mantra.....

I've spoken to old Brummie fans about Trevor Francis,in their first team at 16.Their eyes light up when they remember the fleet footed forward who scored 4 goals in one match against Ipswich,iirrc
4 goals.as a 16 year old in the old 1st division!
If you are good enough,..your old enough.
Totally different game in the time inbetween.

Yes, the game is much more physical now.
Not sure about that.
Going back to two of the examples I used earlier ..
The tackle by Buchan on Bell at Maine rd would have been a straight red nowadays
As would George best on Pardoe .
Both outright thuggery.
Unless you mean more physical in the sense of more hard running/ fitness....

Not sure about that.
Going back to two of the examples I used earlier ..
The tackle by Buchan on Bell at Maine rd would have been a straight red nowadays
As would George best on Pardoe .
Both outright thuggery.
Unless you mean more physical in the sense of more hard running/ fitness....
Yes, I was referring to running etc. Modern game requires players to be much fitter athletically than before and, with new rules on tackles etc, body strength is used more to ease opponents off the ball.
Never saw George Heslop sprinting!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.