Top division winners

JASR

Whilst checking out the stats for when Trafford Rangers dominated the top division (7 wins in a decade), and the whole lack of ‘it’s bad for the PL’ type media outcry at that time. Ditto Liverpool with 7/10 as well - but I wasnt aware of media stuff at that time, though I’ve subsequently never read anything About it being a ‘thing’.

…. I was interested to discover that in the past 75 years, ie from WW2 till now, there have only been 9 ‘new‘ winners of the top division:
Portsmouth 48/49
Harry Kane team 50/51
Wolves 53/54
Chelsea 54/55
Ipswich 61/62
Leeds 68/69
Derby 71/72
Forest 77/78
Leicester 15/16

so 1 every 8-9 years or so. I think that puts to bed any notion that the PL could possibly want ‘a new team winning’ , when in fact it’s just a miswording of ‘any team but City’, but we knew that.

the Liverpool domination of the 70s/80s and the united domination of the 90s/00s was ‘fine’… until they didn’t.

when you look at the gap between forest and Leicester, it’s really quite depressing - almost 40 years.
now, obviously there will be a continuing tail off, of ‘new’ winners, as the years tickover, but still, 40 years!

it would be nice, purely from a ‘levelling the field’ point of view, if someone invested in more ’non winners’ like Bournemouth & Brentford.
A couple of clubs with a reasonable associated population, like Norwich, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Blackpool, York, Chester, Exeter, bristol(s), Carlisle, Hull, Plymouth, reading, Dover…. …ah well a man can naively dream.

at some point our current level at the top will come to an end. (hopefully when I’m dead) It would be nice if we were replaced by ‘new’ teams, rather than the red shirts helping hand cartel of clubs.

happy Christmas to all the teams, in all the divisions of the English pyramid (other than the cartel clubs), and may you have the luck and beneficiaries of City’s owners in your lifetime.

Whilst checking out the stats for when Trafford Rangers dominated the top division (7 wins in a decade), and the whole lack of ‘it’s bad for the PL’ type media outcry at that time. Ditto Liverpool with 7/10 as well - but I wasnt aware of media stuff at that time, though I’ve subsequently never read anything About it being a ‘thing’.

…. I was interested to discover that in the past 75 years, ie from WW2 till now, there have only been 9 ‘new‘ winners of the top division:
Portsmouth 48/49
Harry Kane team 50/51
Wolves 53/54
Chelsea 54/55
Ipswich 61/62
Leeds 68/69
Derby 71/72
Forest 77/78
Leicester 15/16

so 1 every 8-9 years or so. I think that puts to bed any notion that the PL could possibly want ‘a new team winning’ , when in fact it’s just a miswording of ‘any team but City’, but we knew that.

the Liverpool domination of the 70s/80s and the united domination of the 90s/00s was ‘fine’… until they didn’t.

when you look at the gap between forest and Leicester, it’s really quite depressing - almost 40 years.
now, obviously there will be a continuing tail off, of ‘new’ winners, as the years tickover, but still, 40 years!

it would be nice, purely from a ‘levelling the field’ point of view, if someone invested in more ’non winners’ like Bournemouth & Brentford.
A couple of clubs with a reasonable associated population, like Norwich, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Blackpool, York, Chester, Exeter, bristol(s), Carlisle, Hull, Plymouth, reading, Dover…. …ah well a man can naively dream.

at some point our current level at the top will come to an end. (hopefully when I’m dead) It would be nice if we were replaced by ‘new’ teams, rather than the red shirts helping hand cartel of clubs.

happy Christmas to all the teams, in all the divisions of the English pyramid (other than the cartel clubs), and may you have the luck and beneficiaries of City’s owners in your lifetime.
So them stats confirmed that we have won the leauge before the oil money arrived. Surely not. CTID

Looking at some of those clubs records, they had previously been around the trophy winning / runners up places anyway.

I didn't realise it was Leicester's first either.

Ipswich, Leeds and Chelsea are the ones without a significant record prior to the first win which was probably "easier" in the 50s / 60s but it seems less likely now, although it happened for Leicester

West Ham have never won it. I think this is the most likely candidate for a new name. Big fan base and stadium, good records in other comps, get some CL football and they could have a good go at the League. If, if, if....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.