Spurs’ new stadium

People started with pointing out the lack of media criticism ; I accept it descended into calling out the fans which I agree is hypocritical.
If you think the level of scrutiny Spurs get is equivalent to ourselves then you are letting your fair mindedness cloud your judgement. People want consistency and objectivity from the media; not bias that displays peoples agendas

Well we can discuss the media coverage in the media thread. My only comment was about calling out a Spurs fan about attendances, which like you say is hypocritical.

Last edited:
Given that season tickets were not valid, it is Christmas, fans are sick of Wembley, Spurs had just be stiffed by Arsenal a few day earlier, Southampton are not a great draw, Spurs have played a lot recently - 30,000 is not bad.

Perhaps you will understand now why we have some empty seats at the Etihad against lesser teams. The tickets are generally priced all over the ground between £50 and £65 excluding the semi corporate seats which are around £90. Consider wages in the Greater Manchester area are far lower than London you will get the picture. We are getting pilloried over FFP but we could never match Arsenal or the Spuds match day revenue purely down to the London weighting

The vast majority of tickets sold are by season ticket, though. And, in that respect, Spurs are ridiculously more expensive. Cheapest £800, of which there are few, going all the way up to over £2000. Only 19 PL games included for the price.

I think people often overstate London weighting, too. Sure, Londoners earn more than those in other parts of the country. But their basic cost of living is also more - especially with regard to mortgages or rent. So, in terms of disposable income, Londoners are little, if at all, better off when it comes to paying for 'luxury' items such as football tickets. Should also be remembered that Londoners' average wage figure is disproportionately warped by the significant number of super high earners working in the city (and the City).

None of which is to dismiss your point about about how expensive City games are too. I wouldn't dream of dissing City fans for their attendances. 30K plus average in the third tier back in your dark days immunises City fans from any derision in that respect. Proper fans.

Last edited:
Given that season tickets were not valid, it is Christmas, fans are sick of Wembley, Spurs had just be stiffed by Arsenal a few day earlier, Southampton are not a great draw, Spurs have played a lot recently - 30,000 is not bad.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it wasn't bad. I was there and it was frankly surreal. Training ground atmosphere. Can't have helped the players. It definitely felt a bit embarrassing to be playing a Premier League game in a stadium that was two thirds empty.

But it is worth pointing out that it was not a true reflection of the demand for Spurs tickets.

The vast majority of tickets sold are by season ticket, though. And, in that respect, Spurs are ridiculously more expensive. Cheapest £800, of which there are few, going all the way up to over £2000. Only 19 PL games included for the price.

I think people often overstate London weighting, too. Sure, Londoners earn more than those in other parts of the country. But their basic cost of living is also more - especially with regard to mortgages or rent. So, in terms of disposable income, Londoners are little, if at all, better off when it comes to paying for 'luxury' items such as football tickets. Should also be remembered that Londoners' average wage figure is warped by the significant number of super high earners working in the city (and the City).

None of which is to dismiss your point about about how expensive City games are too. I wouldn't dream of dissing City fans for their attendances. 30K plus average in the third tier back in your dark days immunises City fans from any derision in that respect. Proper fans.
Some very good points, Clubs like the Rags and Dippers have a lot of day trippers to take the available tickets for mid week, Cup and European matches. Our share of that market has increased but there are significant numbers of City fans who commit to a season ticket only as its a set price that can be paid in 10 monthly instalments with no added on fees.

We have 27 regulars for our coach to League games, for Hoffenheim we are down to 13 with just 10 on the Cup scheme. I think Spurs will probably “suffer” the same. It’s expensive going to a game and if you can’t fill your ground with Scandinavians, Irish and Glory Hunters from all over the UK it’s unreasonable to expect (in your case), 60k to turn up at every game.

I fully understand the reason only 33k turned up at Wembley on Wednesday, keyboard warriors criticising is laughable. Hats off to your fans for persevering with that soulless, monolithic, shithole. Your new stadium looks the ducks nuts, hope you enjoy it.

Never understood the crowd attendance competition. Why give a fuck about how many supporters attended a football match?
Years ago we used to get 60, 70 and 80000 crowds through the turnstiles. But our average attendance in those years was about 35000.

I bet not one fan in the country would look at the paper back then and ridicule us for getting 26000 in an 85000 stadium for about three quarters of the season.

I find it really strange that fans do it now.

Don’t get me wrong, I much prefer it when I’m in a full stadium. It looks and feels better being in a capacity crowd, but it’s not the end of the world when it isn’t.

Years ago we used to get 60, 70 and 80000 crowds through the turnstiles. But our average attendance in those years was about 35000.

I bet not one fan in the country would look at the paper back then and ridicule us for getting 26000 in an 85000 stadium for about three quarters of the season.

I find it really strange that fans do it now.

Don’t get me wrong, I much prefer it when I’m in a full stadium. It looks and feels better being in a capacity crowd, but it’s not the end of the world when it isn’t.

But let’s say 5000 empty seats, it still doesn’t look empty, does it? I know what you’re on about, a capacity crowd adds to the atmosphere, but I still couldn’t give a fuck if there’s empty seats. Sometimes I prefer an empty seat next to me, especially in the champions league were there’s an high chance of a Chinese tourist with a selfie stick sat next to you.

I dont think our fans have much to prove. Second highest average attendance last season and broke a few records along the way, all playing away from home as well

Im pretty sure Phil Thompson was mocking the attendance the other day but he didn't seem to mind when Roy Hodgson's Liverpool team had thousands of empty seats

Spurs have announced that there will be a 'fan familiarisation' event scheduled for 16th of this month. 6,000 fans can attend. Two further test events, each with bigger capacities, are rumoured to be scheduled for the end of this month and for early January. So it is still possible that the first competitive game at the new stadium will be against Man Utd on 13th January. If not then, then soon after.

As to the issue with electricians not being paid, it has nothing to do with Spurs. Electricians working on other jobs for the same company have also not been paid. And it's interesting that you refer to those "handling" the stadium project as a "bunch of amateurs". The people in question are MACE - one of the biggest and most highly regarded construction companies in the UK.

Finally, regarding the late completion of the stadium, it seems that you are not very familiar with large construction projects. It is not at all unusual for them to complete late. Quite the opposite, in fact. So these other "business interests" that you refer to - whoever or whatever they may be - are unlikely to be remotely concerned by the late delivery of this stadium.

They're having you over. You do realise that it's an anagram of ACME. Beep Beep ;-)

Im pretty sure Phil Thompson was mocking the attendance the other day but he didn't seem to mind when Roy Hodgson's Liverpool team had thousands of empty seats

The Liverpool sycophants are terrified that Spurs are closing the gap. City, Arsenal and Chelsea have all overtaken them in recent years.

The default Liverpool fan position is Spurs are
  • small time
  • bottlers
  • no history
  • will never win anything
  • no fans
  • delusional fans
  • no mark club
  • mid table
  • irrelevant
  • players are rubbish or leaving
  • new stadium is ugly and soulless
  • new stadium will bankrupt them
  • over-rated
  • media darlings
  • cheats
  • divers
In short the complete opposite of the "greatest football club in the World". However, I feel a certain happiness hearing them complain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.