Train derailment at Stonehaven

Seemingly a lot worse than reports are suggesting, at this point, in terms of hurt/casualties.
Pretty horrible, and heartbreaking. Thoughts and wishes with all concerned.

i've only seen a bit on the news and it looked like the track was flooded which begs the question why there's a train running in such shit conditions?

It was being sent back to Aberdeen after the line was blocked further down by a landslide. Sadly looks like another occurred and took the train with it.

It's hard to even picture how it happened, looking at how it's ended up in the images. Clearly everyone was spread out so much because if that had been remotely full then dozens would be dead tonight.

I was on a train near Leamington Spa once... huge bang and the bogeys from the front carriages flew past our window.. the train was off the track and the woman in front of me threw a cup of scalding coffee all over my new (at the time) Kappa City coat... we came to a stop about 20 feet in the air with the carriages at all angles... we had to walk about 4 miles to the nearest station and didn’t get as much a “sorry” from British Rail

A very humbling experience...

FROM RMT PRESS OFFICE

‎RMT further reaction to Stonehaven derailment and fatalities

Senior Assistant General Secretary Mick Lynch said;

"The confirmation that there have been three fatalities in the Stonehaven derailment, including the driver and one of our conductor members, is the most dreadful news and this trade union's thoughts are with the families, colleagues and friends of those who have lost their lives in this tragedy.

"RMT will unite to provide support, assistance and solidarity at this distressing time. Safety on the railway has to be an absolute priority and this union will be working with the various agencies to establish the facts behind this disaster which has sent shock waves right throughout our industry. "

Awful. Anyone dead is just dreadful. People went out to work today and aren't coming back. Can they not do anything more to make these "rural" lines less subject to landslides etc? Once again the news over the last few days has highlighted how extreme weather events are becoming more prevalent - we are spaffing wads on HS2 can we not make such lines as this safer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.