Train to Paris

So what would of stopped it , is the lack of passport control in Manchester.

You go through customs twice so you don't stop when you arrive in France. So it's one UK customs and one French. I'm pretty sure that's not the only reason, it also runs on French signalling in UK and I'd guarantee that's not the only technical reason. The platforms,for example. They're huge as its a very long train.

Once upon a time that Eurostar or equivalent was gonna run from Manchester. I even picked up a timetable at Victoria! And then George started waffling on about THE NORTHERN POWERHOUSE. Wonder if he has ever travelled at peak time on the Leeds-Victoria line?

I know mate, but I was wondering if it would of been possible, and if the club had thought about doing one ?

It was the idea with the Eurostar running into St Pancras, but the route to get from Manchester to the Channel at the moment would be terribly complicated and have to avoid so many other trains, that it would likely be impossible to schedule.

The walk from Euston to St Pancras isn't that far though!

Cheers lads, but it was just a question, ie would it of been possible ? I know you can walk from Euston to St Pancras, and you can book tickets easy enough, but it was just a question, ie if it was possible to do ?

Technically, it is possible to run Eurostar trains to Manchester. When the channel tunnel was planned it was envisaged Eurostar trains would run on the East and West coast main lines, and Britsh Rail spent £140 million on track works to make this possible. A Eurostar depot was also built in Longsight, but it remained empty for years.

Trial runs were undertaken with Eurostar trains, but the project was shelved, mainly due to the projected passenger numbers being lower than first thought. Numerous train companies offered to run services, but they would have required a subsidy which the government refused to sanction.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to run Eurostar trains from Manchester to Paris.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.