Training / running

chesterbells

Anyone else training for a running event at the moment?

I'm entered for the Chester half marathon in May & have got up to 10 mile runs, but I can't see the point of running much further preparing for race distance. I know there is a school of thought that for halves you should train at over distance, eg 15miles, so that the actual event feels like a stroll, but I'm not convinced.

Anyway a 10 & a 6 miler once a week is the extent of it at the moment - reckon that's the minimum I can get away with; just wondered if anyone else was putting the miles in.

I've done Chester marathon and if you think you will get round on 16 miles a week you are kidding yourself.

If you only want to run that amount, stick to 5ks.
If you want to run a marathon you HAVE TO put in the miles.

Do that amount of running and I can guarantee that you won't finish it and I would also be fairly sure that you wouldn't even run it as when you got closer to it you would realise and not want to do it.<br /><br />-- Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 pm --<br /><br />Just realised - ignore all of the above.

You would get round a half with that amount of training but if you want to get round in a fairly decent time you should put in more training.

I feel that I'm constantly in training. A normal week for me.

Monday - easy ride or easy run (10 miles on the bike or 4 running). Just to loosen up, I leave my GPS gear at home and just enjoy being outside. Then some light kettle bell lifting at the house.
Tuesday - Mountain bike riding (6-10 miles) and then running on the same mountain bike trails for 2 to 3 miles in basically what is an Xterra brick. I find the run strengthens my ankles and allows me to forgo hill work for most of the year. After it gets hot this will transition to speed work which I loathe.
Wednesday - Swim (anywhere from 1,000 meters to 2,000 meters depending on time)
Thursday - Road bike - Usually 20 hilly miles and then 3 miles of running either on the cross country track or on asphalt depending on where I ride.
Friday - Morning swim. take the night off
Saturday - Long run. This varies from 7 miles to 15 miles depending on weather and pace I feel like running.
Sunday - usually my day off, but if a friend wants to run, I'll run up to 10 miles.

I currently don't have any races scheduled, but I'll probably do a half marathon in May, I'll do 3-5 triathlons this year and I am still trying to figure out if there is a marathon I can run in October/November so that I can then bring my training down for a month to ramp back up. I plan on running the Paris Marathon next April and I'm hopeful to be in the neighborhood of 3:30. But that is a half hour faster than my best marathon time to date. I just have never been able to put together a full that I'm proud of usually getting off pace (too fast) at the start and then burning out around mile 20 and grinding my way to the finish. Since my last full, I've revamped my gait and now I'm running faster/easier than ever which is pretty good for a 43 year old.

Am currently in the tapering stage of my training for the London Marathon on April 13th, not had any alcohol since New Years Eve and have been running 4 to 5 times a week for the last 14 weeks over various distances up to 21 miles. Hoping for a sub 4 time, I came in at 3hrs 56min last year so would like to beat that.
Tapering stage is weird as you don't feel like you're running enough.
Good luck with the half marathon

Cheers for the best wishes MJV - and good luck with the London! Tbh, I've done about 10 halves over the last 10 years, but have never been tempted by a full marathon - too much risk of wear & tear injuries puts me off - and finding enough hours in the day to fit in all the training.

Pokes28, hats off to you for keeping up that schedule! - interesting you do bikes as well - I've started cycling on a road bike in last 18 months using clip in pedals for the first time , and it has coincided with me getting calf strains / tears for the first time ever when running, so I'm thinking that's the cause.

chesterbells said:
Cheers for the best wishes MJV - and good luck with the London! Tbh, I've done about 10 halves over the last 10 years, but have never been tempted by a full marathon - too much risk of wear & tear injuries puts me off - and finding enough hours in the day to fit in all the training.

Pokes28, hats off to you for keeping up that schedule! - interesting you do bikes as well - I've started cycling on a road bike in last 18 months using clip in pedals for the first time , and it has coincided with me getting calf strains / tears for the first time ever when running, so I'm thinking that's the cause.

Personally i think the half marathon is the perfect distance. Training never rules your life like it does on the longer distances.

As far as going with clipless pedals, I've never known of anybody that has that problem. I would wonder if you aren't keeping your ankles free thus keeping the pedals under you particularly when you do the pull up portion of your pedal stroke. As for doing bikes, I find that I can get in some serious training and with a high cadence it really carries over the run. I have a friend that did all of her marathon training on a bicycle. At the peak of her training she was riding 100+ miles two to three times a week. She hurt after just because her body wasn't ready for the impact, but she finished very strong. Her fitness carried over extremely well. Now one thing to keep in mind, I ride a tri-bike other than when I'm using the mountain bike. The geometry of the tri-bike puts a lot of focus on the quads and pretty much leaves the calf muscles alone. Then I blow those out during the run.

As for maintaining the schedule, it is like everything else. You get used to it and it just becomes part of what you do. Other than on weekends or when I do a brick, I rarely work out for more than an hour to an hour fifteen. I'm not really fast but I go in and get it done. At the height of my training it becomes a grind as I'll generally top out with morning and evening workouts. However I will always give myself another free day. Also, if the weather is crap I will find alternatives like I'll do the kettle bells instead of a workout as I really hate running/riding in cold rain. The next couple days will probably end up that way here.

I know plenty of people who’ve run half marathons after doing a longest training run of 10 miles so you’ll be fine but the last 3 miles might be a little uncomfortable. Personally, I think it helps if you’ve done the full distance in training but then that’s just me. I’ve been training for my first full marathon (Greater Manchester, April 6) & it’s taken its toll on the body – think I’ve been in physio at least once a week since the start of the year. I can’t see me doing another due to the ceaseless injuries I’ve hit & the amount of impact on family life etc. Roll on April 6th 1pm ‘cos it will all be over hopefully.

I am currently in training to..... walk.

Four months after ankle break/op to plate it, and ten feckin' weeks in a cast, I would be deliriously happy to just be able to walk more than a few yards without a crutch .....lol.... off to physio soon...

Good luck with your half marathon mate.

chesterbells said:

I'm entered for the Chester half marathon in May & have got up to 10 mile runs, but I can't see the point of running much further preparing for race distance. I know there is a school of thought that for halves you should train at over distance, eg 15miles, so that the actual event feels like a stroll, but I'm not convinced.

Anyway a 10 & a 6 miler once a week is the extent of it at the moment - reckon that's the minimum I can get away with; just wondered if anyone else was putting the miles in.

Im entered into the Chester half marathon as well and currently doing about 25/30k a week. Normally i do one long run a week (10 miles) and then mix that in with 2 or 3 shorter run depending on how busy i am at work. Ive done a few and never trained anything above 10/11 miles prior to it, but im not sure thats the best way to do it. I do it more for the sense of achievement and just generally keeping fit, rather than times. As for a full on marathon, not sure i could put the hours in for it and i have absolute respect for those who do it.

willipp said:
chesterbells said:

Im entered into the Chester half marathon as well and currently doing about 25/30k a week. Normally i do one long run a week (10 miles) and then mix that in with 2 or 3 shorter run depending on how busy i am at work. Ive done a few and never trained anything above 10/11 miles prior to it, but im not sure thats the best way to do it. I do it more for the sense of achievement and just generally keeping fit, rather than times. As for a full on marathon, not sure i could put the hours in for it and i have absolute respect for those who do it.

Yep, those are my thoughts on a running a full marathon too. Been out earlier for a 10 miler (before the thunder & lightning), and i'm sure that will be enough to get round 13.1 in the real thing. The weight certainly does come off when youre running that far - just need to be careful not to drink it back on tomorrow night watching the arsenal game in the pub. Good luck in the chester...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.