Trains / public transport

willipp

How bad is public transport in this country. Been to Reading and back from Preston yesterday coming back today. Can’t be much more than 200 miles there and 200 back. On the last leg home and stuck at Warrington due to a broken down freight train. All in all over the two journeys it’s taken 11 hours and 8 changes across both legs. Is public transport this bad in other countries or is it just us?

How bad is public transport in this country. Been to Reading and back from Preston yesterday coming back today. Can’t be much more than 200 miles there and 200 back. On the last leg home and stuck at Warrington due to a broken down freight train. All in all over the two journeys it’s taken 11 hours and 8 changes across both legs. Is public transport this bad in other countries or is it just us?

From my experience .... its us. Rail across Europe seems to run so much better.

Difficult to say based on one journey. If something breaks down, it breaks down - this happens anywhere. I'll hazard a guess that we're not the worst, but based on the wealth of the country we are probably under-performing. The problem is politics. To improve your specific journey, HS2 would possibly be the solution - a new track to allow trains to keep running when others are blocked, but this has proved divisive and unpopular, with most people saying local journey infrastructure should be prioritised.

There's been a huge increase in passenger traffic since 1995 (when privatisation happened). Passenger numbers went from 760 million in 1995 to 1,756 million in 2018/19. That's an increase of nearly 1 billion passenger journeys p.a. Numbers have been increasing at a very steady rate of around 3% p.a. and this will continue.

But investment in capacity hasn't kept pace with increase in usage, hence the system isn't always pleasant to use at peak times.

Decisions taken to remove capacity back in the 1960s might have made sense at the time, but in some cases they have proven to be bad choices.

I’ve found local trains are awful (, yes you Northern ) but some of the cross country trains can be really good .
I use them to do surveys in far flung parts of the UK and 8 times out of 10 it’s preferable to driving .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.