Another transitional season? No.

We don’t need an overhaul or a transition, we just needed to replace Konpany. The side he picked today is a direct result of having to lay Fernandinho and Otamendi at the back. But it’s so counter productive because we’ve lost our legs, our creativity and our ball retention up the field. We’re more open to counter attacks by trying to play a defensive minded midfield than we are when we play an attacking one.

The philosophy of signing one or two top players a season is the right one but you simply cannot lose someone like Kompany and not replace him. All our frailties this season boil down to our centre backs even if it’s not them to blame.

Nah, it's not a transition season, whatever that means. KDB and Stones are back after the break and we can re-assess from there. It's still early.

That said, we've made some mistakes. I feel that we made one in not signing a centerback in the summer. It was hard for me to believe at the time that there was not a single other player besides Harry Maguire that could've came in and improved us. I don't understand why we can't identify multiple targets; the same thing happened with Jorginho last year (that obviously worked out, but we got a bit lucky if we're being honest). The other thing is around bringing younger players into the squad. Seniority is playing too large a role in squad selection. Jesus, Foden, Cancelo, and Eric Garcia should all be playing much more football in the coming months. That way, when we need players to step in for injuries or step up as older players fade, they will have the confidence and form to do so. More recently we've opted to play senior players out of position rather than take a chance on youth, and you can only get away with that for so long.

Last edited:
No, we have Bernardo, Foden, DeBruyne, Rodri, Sterling, Sane , Jesus, Mahrez all with 4 plus years ahead of them Probably need cover when Aguero and Fernandinho leaves . Otamendi needs replacing so maybe 2 replacements next summer for Otamendi and Fernandinho, Aguero replacement the summer after.
Don’t jump into the middle of a conversation then argue my point against me!

I am saying that Pep likes a 16 man “team” with players who can play multiple positions, because he knows that finding world class, technically and intellectually proficient players to do what he wants is HARD!!!

We are currently without about 5 of them, and we are going to lose another 4 in short order. To replace the ones we are going to lose, we are going to need DIRECT WORLD CLASS replacements, because the 19-20 yr old in the Academy is not there yet! There are so few world class players under 25 it is amazing to think people think we have the monopoly in them!

The direct replacements for the world’s best DM is going to need to be some player...we bought him already, but he is going to need a back up, which is not going to be Ferna or Gundo!

The direct replacement for Sergio is going to need to be one of the world’s best goal scorers. We have Jesus, but we are going to need AT LEAST another one, as Raz is our 3rd choice CF!

What I’m saying is that Pep wants a core squad of 15-16 players in whom he can count to win everything, with another handful of players who can slot in on the odd occasion he needs some assistance, through unfortunate injury, lesser Cup competition, etc...

Pep doesn’t see Foden in that group. He doesn’t see Angelino in that group, or Harwood Bellis or even Garcia, let alone Doyle, Poveda or the myriad players we ship out in loan. He sees those players as having the POTENTIAL to make the leap, and fill in here and there, but NOT part of that core 15-16 that he needs to create an ACTUAL team “squad.” And, as he ALSO says, he sees them in training every day, and knows who they are, what they can do, and more importantly, what they cannot do.

I honestly wish that the PL would have a constructive rule change to help develop these players. For instance, allowing 4 subs, but requiring 2 of them be U-21 “home grown/Academy” players and that the 2nd sub must be one of them. In addition, you could not sub OFF that sub, except with another U-21 player. This would ensure that if a manager wanted to use more than one sub, one would get in the game, but it would not restrict him from using “primary” subs. We have myriad squad rules, but none of them force clubs to play their young talent.

I honestly wish that the PL would have a constructive rule change to help develop these players. For instance, allowing 4 subs, but requiring 2 of them be U-21 “home grown/Academy” players and that the 2nd sub must be one of them. In addition, you could not sub OFF that sub, except with another U-21 player. This would ensure that if a manager wanted to use more than one sub, one would get in the game, but it would not restrict him from using “primary” subs. We have myriad squad rules, but none of them force clubs to play their young talent.
No thanks on any of this. I would be fine giving an extra bench spot to academy kids or something but thats it. Just because we're completely inept at bringing through super talented youngsters doesn't mean we need to start changing the rules.

Since we're invited to speculate, here's my take which will really annoy some on here.

Firstly, I don't think the team has the same hunger as previous seasons. This is evident in the performances of a number of players but was very noticeable in our defeat against Norwich when they were able to play around our press with ease. It reminds me of utd one season when the GPC announced that he was leaving at the end of the season and had to retract it when it all started going wrong on the pitch. Which, together with his wife going back to Spain (and, yes, I've read the stated reasons) leads me to speculate that Pep is leaving at the end of the season notwithstanding that "he always sees out his contract" and the players know it.

The injuries to Sane, Laporte, Mendy and KDB have, obviously, left us reliant on older players with little competition for some places whilst Bernardo has been subjected to a press witch-hunt which, I think, has hurt him, as intended whilst UEFA are in no hurry to lift the shadow of a CL ban hanging over the club.

So, yes, I do think we are in transition but, I also think we'll weather the storm and come out stronger. Think it's going to be a bit rough for a while though.

Since we're invited to speculate, here's my take which will really annoy some on here.

Firstly, I don't think the team has the same hunger as previous seasons. This is evident in the performances of a number of players but was very noticeable in our defeat against Norwich when they were able to play around our press with ease. It reminds me of utd one season when the GPC announced that he was leaving at the end of the season and had to retract it when it all started going wrong on the pitch. Which, together with his wife going back to Spain (and, yes, I've read the stated reasons) leads me to speculate that Pep is leaving at the end of the season notwithstanding that "he always sees out his contract" and the players know it.

The injuries to Sane, Laporte, Mendy and KDB have, obviously, left us reliant on older players with little competition for some places whilst Bernardo has been subjected to a press witch-hunt which, I think, has hurt him, as intended whilst UEFA are in no hurry to lift the shadow of a CL ban hanging over the club.

So, yes, I do think we are in transition but, I also think we'll weather the storm and come out stronger. Think it's going to be a bit rough for a while though.
One thing I definitely agree with you on, I think we're all significantly underrating the possibility that this will be Pep's last year with us. Even if, for some reason, you think the Mirror has some special insight into what Pep's wife is going to do three months from now, saying "not to worry, she's going to move back in a few months time" is what you say regardless of whether thats the plan or not. It's called, "not letting it become a huge story". Also even if they are correct and that is the plan, there's absolutely no way to predict how things are going to go and how everyone is going to feel when it comes time to actually do it.

I still think it's likely that he'll see out the contract, but to pretend there isn't a decent chance that this'll be it is foolish in my opinion.

We have two problems this season. The first are injuries to CBs which have seriously hurt us. But we have another problem as well. We have several aging players whose legs are not quite up to the task of playing highly dynamic football and can't press efficiently. This might be the season when the legends step down and make way to Rodri, Foden, Jesus, Cancelo, Bernardo....

Liverpool have only one player over 30 y.o. and he is running more than the other players. We have several players over 30 and they are already over the hill physically wise.

Hope and believe we can still win the title but Laporte's injury has hit us very badly. Hope we can win the CL for the legends. Would be the best way for them to leave the club
The title of this thread pisses me off. Not getting in any lifeboats yet.
We may not be on song at the moment, but we are still on for four more trophies, yes we've had setbacks but so what?
it's time to get mad and suck it up. Some on here think we're done, their opinion, fine.
If you asked any player if he thought we were done now not one would agree.

Pep will walk this summer if not the next summer he won’t overhaul this squad again
Agreed, the transitional season comes when he goes, this present squad needs some major upgrades, not bringing in at least one CB is an incredibly bad derision.
Our club is run magnificently but we have made some serious errors when it comes to refreshing a title winning squad.

Last edited:
This,people are too busy shouting tosee our injuries and vinny gone,we are not indistructable,they are just men
Some men are difficult to replace, Vincent Kompany for one. Not as a player but the influence the guy had around the dressing room and training ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.