Travel to the USA

We have Orlando booked from 3rd August, 18 nights from Manchester to Orlando via a quick stop off in Dublin. It saved almost 40% off flying direct and as you clear customs in Dublin you save time at the other end.
It's Looking positive at the moment that we can get away. We have been 3 times but finally I get to go with my brother and his family.

Miami was ok last time I went. The 3.5 hour drive was a long slog and it was scorching hot down there, but at least I can say I went. I had a tattoo at what was the 'Miami ink' studio.

Hoping to go over in September. My son & daughter-in-law have to move back east from Phoenix to Pittsburgh in October. She's going for work so will fly there but he's got to transport the dog, clothes and stuff so will drive. The more drivers, the quicker it can be done so her stepfather is flying out from Pittsburgh and I'm hoping to go as well. With 3 of us sharing the driving we can do it in 3 days easy.

Plan is to go out early so I can see some more of Arizona before we hit the road. Want to see Tucson and the 'Boneyard' at Davis-Monthan AFB, where they store all the old military aircraft. Also want to visit Tombstone and see the Gun Fight at the OK Corral re-enactment

Last edited:
We have Orlando booked from 3rd August, 18 nights from Manchester to Orlando via a quick stop off in Dublin. It saved almost 40% off flying direct and as you clear customs in Dublin you save time at the other end.
It's Looking positive at the moment that we can get away. We have been 3 times but finally I get to go with my brother and his family.

Miami was ok last time I went. The 3.5 hour drive was a long slog and it was scorching hot down there, but at least I can say I went. I had a tattoo at what was the 'Miami ink' studio.

You clear customs in Dublin? How does that work?

Now that I'm vaccinated and can start travelling again soon, I'm back on the road for 1) trips to LA to see my mom and sister, 2) work (limited trips) and 3) college tours for my boy. Then I'll start thinking about where I want to go for fun.

I miss three places that if you lot make it out here with plenty of time you must see: Yellowstone National Park, New Orleans, and the island of Kauai, Hawaii (or Maui or The Big Island if not Kauai).

I've been to 46 of the 50 states and those three spots are my favo(u)rites of all.

New York and Boston are great -- I presume I'll be back there every couple of months for work as before eventually, and I went to college (uni) in DC, and I grew up in/have lived in SF and LA. All are great, as are plenty of other cities like Portland and Seattle and Chicago among others. And Yosemite is beautiful, as is Crater Lake and the Appalachians and many other national parks.

But Yellowstone, New Orleans and Hawaii are tops.
I preferred Maui to Kauai but I loved all the main Islands , been twice and most certainly will visit again. We are hoping to visit Yellowstone next year all being well . Missed out on New Orleans and Chicago last year as obviously had to cancel.

Last edited:
For you Floridians.. what do you think of this rota.. im hoping with help from you chaps to fill the destinations in..

days 1-4 orlando
Days 5-6 stop a night on gulf coast
Days 7-8 miami
Days 8-12 the keys
Days 13-14 stop somewhere on way home and hit orlando on last day to fly home
Personally I would spend 5 - 6 days in Orlando (include a day over at Space Centre / Cocoa Beach. Orlando is very cheap at the moment
Then head over to the Gulf Coast.
You dont need a week in Miami (and is expensive) so I would suggest slowly making your way down to Miami.
3 nights in Clearwater or St Pete beach.
Then 90 min drive and 2 nights in Sarasota / Siesta Keys (or extra day and go to Myakka State park)
Another 90 min drive to Marco Island for another 2 days
Now from Marco Island you can get a ferry to Key West which cuts a hell of a lot of travel out but not sure if you can take your car. If you can then take the ferry.
Spend your time in Key West and then drive to Everglades and onto Miami. No more than 3 nights in Miami.
I would them head back to Orlando for the last 2 days relaxing by the pool and fly back.
If you cant take your car on the ferry then do the Everglades, onto Key West, then Miami and Orlando

Last edited:
Why not fly in to Orlando and out of Miami?
Also take a look at Islamorada on the keys, here’s a decent place to stay on the ocean front.
I’d second that,
fly to Orlando
Then drive to Sarasota onto the Everglades
Then onto to Keys
back down to Miami and then fly home
you would have to sacrIfice Cape Canaveral though but it would save on some hours driving
i agree with most of the recommendations made

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.