Trevor Christie

City_Shirts

Man City match worn shirts Facebook Page caught up with former City striker Trevor Christie this week to talk about his very brief spell at Maine Road and the reasons behind his sudden departure after just 9 games into a three year contract.

All blues welcome to view the UK's largest match worn shirt collection here with over 250 shirts dating back to the 1926 FA Cup Final in my private collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/manchestercitymatchshirts/

TALES OF BLUE: Trevor Christie may not be a name that rolls of the tongue to many blues but the majority of die-hard 80’s City fans will recall the striker joining in the summer of 1986 in an exchange deal for the ever popular Mark Lillis, along with some much needed cash(£100,000) also heading City’s way, an offer cash-strapped City couldn't refuse. Hopes were high of him being the 20-goal a season striker we craved, and needed to help build on our second season back in the First Division, not since Brian Kidd in the 70’s had a Blues striker achieved that target so the pressure was on Christie to produce, a tally he had previously reached with Notts County during the 83/84 season which then first attracted interest from City.
A goal on his home debut against newly-promoted Wimbledon and a brace against Norwich gave Trevor three strikes in his first four games with his City future looking bright, but with the man who signed him, Billy McNeill, shocking Maine Road by walking out on City to join Aston Villa after just seven games into the new season opened the door for fellow Scot Jimmy Firzzell to take over the hot-seat – Trevor’s time at City was ruthlessly ended after just 10 games into a three year contact. MCMWS page caught up with Trevor to hear his side of his brief Maine Road story.

1. Billy McNeill had originally targeted you two years previous to you joining City during the 84/85 season, were you aware of the interest from City that year and did you come close to joining ?

Yes I was aware of City's interest. I had my best season that year hitting 25 goals. Newcastle and City were both interested but Notts Co priced me out of a move to both as they upped my price every time I scored for them. I eventually found out the truth in this story when I signed for Derby as their manager Arthur Cox told me the whole story as he was the manager at Newcastle when they tried to sign me.

2. McNeill would eventually get his man when you joined in the summer of 1986 with forging a partnership with Gordon Davies the objective as City had scored just 43 league goals the previous season – When did you first hear of the move to Maine Road ?

I heard via the media that City were still interested in me as I had moved to Derby by this time . The thought of joining City excited me.. When I was a kid they were and even more so nowadays are a huge club, and I know given the time Ivor (Gordon Davies) and I could have formed a Good partnership up front.

3. You were immediately flown out to join City’s pre-season tour of Spain and meet your new team mates when you featured in four of the games and picking up a knock against Barcelona – What are the memories of that tour and how you were welcomed into the squad ?

It was a bit of a farce really and very funny (well I think so anyway!) .. One minute you are in an office sorting a contract out and the next your saying goodbye to your wife as you are off on the next plane to Spain wearing a sombrero !! The lads were brilliant and we quickly jelled after they had all taken the piss out of me.

4. The manager stated quite publicly the reason you were signed was ‘Goals’ and you duly obliged on your City debut - 23rdAugust 1986 at Maine Road against newly-promoted Wimbledon – What do you recall of your own performance that day and the first City goal ?

I thought it went well… It wasn't a great game to watch but we were decent value for a 3-1 win. I think both Ivor and I scored so we got off to a good start. For me just playing at Main Road was unbelievable… and to score… as well… Well I was Gobsmacked as I had only really seen the place on TV as a kid!! Apart from a 5 - 1 drubbing by City over Notts Co...i did score though.. Lol

5. City started the season well with the Wimbledon win and a decent point at Liverpool in a 0-0 draw – How pleased were you with the start to life at City and settling in at the club ?

Looking back I think I did OK…( I replaced a favourite in Mark Lillis who replaced me at Derby) , which is bloody hard enough to do under normal circumstances but I was made welcome by a great set of lads and I did what I did throughout my career … I DID MY BEST…if that wasn't good enough for some then hey ho…get real!!

6. September sees you hit two goals at Maine Road in a 2-2 draw with Norwich giving you 3 goals in the first four games, but just three games later Billy was gone as City made their way to Southend for a League Cup tie – What do you recall of Billy’s sudden departure ?

Gobsmacked… Couldn't believe it. I'd just given Steve Bruce a torrid time in the Norwich game and Billy had sold the club to me previously… and suddenly you find yourself in limbo.
Three goals in nine games (roughly my career average of 1 in 3 achieved) but new guy takes over and your face don't fit… Even though he tried to sign you when he was previously manager at Oldham Athletic.

7. Did you think you leaving was on the cards at that time or is that something you never even considered so soon after joining ?

Not in a million years did I think of leaving.!!

8. Jimmy Frizzell took over the and after just a couple more appearances under the new boss you were gone despite being just a few months into a three year contract – What’s the story behind the sudden departure and were you given a choice to stay and fight for a place ?

Frizzell took the reigns… we had a chat.. and I was told after only 9 games that I had no part in his plans!. .. I was out!! I don't usually hold grudges in life but this is the exception…I wasn't even given the opportunity to stay and fight for my place… Which I would have been more than happy to do!! So I cannot and still don't understand his reasons.. But I guess that's football for you back in the day!

9. Robert Hopkins was signed and left in similar circumstances that season and he took to the papers to give City some bad press – What were your feelings at the time and now on the departure ?

Hoppy was a good lad but had his own feelings…I personally wanted to be at Man City and fight for a 1st team place, but I was made to feel unwelcome by a certain person... But That's life!! I moved to Walsall… Which was a bit of a drop career wise but boy did I enjoy myself and get my confidence back, some which had been kicked out of me by Frizzell..So it all ended well for me!

10. Ten games and three goals but your City career was over before it really began…..How do you look back on the brief spell at Maine Road ?What do you think of the modern day Manchester City ?

It has to be of fond memories because that's all they are really… Football is a great game… But a game of opinions…my face did not fit at the time BUT I know in my own mind given time I would have been a success at City… That’s for sure!!
As for the team today…. They are a pleasure to watch and have one awesome manager in Pep.. Long may it last!

11. What is Trevor Christie of 2020 up to these days?

I work for Her Majesty the Queen at HMP Services at one of Her hotels!!

Trevor, Thank you for taking the time to share your City memories and wish you all the best for the future.

106993425_10158326610200428_6701944119074143249_n.jpg

107008439_10158326609725428_2107696873842225503_o.jpg

106706552_10158326609825428_7247588273309696844_n.jpg

Strange one but reading the interviews the first thing which jumps into my head is him having the nickname ‘the bullet’ can anyone confirm this or is it a muddled childhood memory.

Man City match worn shirts Facebook Page caught up with former City striker Trevor Christie this week to talk about his very brief spell at Maine Road and the reasons behind his sudden departure after just 9 games into a three year contract.

All blues welcome to view the UK's largest match worn shirt collection here with over 250 shirts dating back to the 1926 FA Cup Final in my private collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/manchestercitymatchshirts/

TALES OF BLUE: Trevor Christie may not be a name that rolls of the tongue to many blues but the majority of die-hard 80’s City fans will recall the striker joining in the summer of 1986 in an exchange deal for the ever popular Mark Lillis, along with some much needed cash(£100,000) also heading City’s way, an offer cash-strapped City couldn't refuse. Hopes were high of him being the 20-goal a season striker we craved, and needed to help build on our second season back in the First Division, not since Brian Kidd in the 70’s had a Blues striker achieved that target so the pressure was on Christie to produce, a tally he had previously reached with Notts County during the 83/84 season which then first attracted interest from City.
A goal on his home debut against newly-promoted Wimbledon and a brace against Norwich gave Trevor three strikes in his first four games with his City future looking bright, but with the man who signed him, Billy McNeill, shocking Maine Road by walking out on City to join Aston Villa after just seven games into the new season opened the door for fellow Scot Jimmy Firzzell to take over the hot-seat – Trevor’s time at City was ruthlessly ended after just 10 games into a three year contact. MCMWS page caught up with Trevor to hear his side of his brief Maine Road story.

1. Billy McNeill had originally targeted you two years previous to you joining City during the 84/85 season, were you aware of the interest from City that year and did you come close to joining ?

Yes I was aware of City's interest. I had my best season that year hitting 25 goals. Newcastle and City were both interested but Notts Co priced me out of a move to both as they upped my price every time I scored for them. I eventually found out the truth in this story when I signed for Derby as their manager Arthur Cox told me the whole story as he was the manager at Newcastle when they tried to sign me.

2. McNeill would eventually get his man when you joined in the summer of 1986 with forging a partnership with Gordon Davies the objective as City had scored just 43 league goals the previous season – When did you first hear of the move to Maine Road ?

I heard via the media that City were still interested in me as I had moved to Derby by this time . The thought of joining City excited me.. When I was a kid they were and even more so nowadays are a huge club, and I know given the time Ivor (Gordon Davies) and I could have formed a Good partnership up front.

3. You were immediately flown out to join City’s pre-season tour of Spain and meet your new team mates when you featured in four of the games and picking up a knock against Barcelona – What are the memories of that tour and how you were welcomed into the squad ?

It was a bit of a farce really and very funny (well I think so anyway!) .. One minute you are in an office sorting a contract out and the next your saying goodbye to your wife as you are off on the next plane to Spain wearing a sombrero !! The lads were brilliant and we quickly jelled after they had all taken the piss out of me.

4. The manager stated quite publicly the reason you were signed was ‘Goals’ and you duly obliged on your City debut - 23rdAugust 1986 at Maine Road against newly-promoted Wimbledon – What do you recall of your own performance that day and the first City goal ?

I thought it went well… It wasn't a great game to watch but we were decent value for a 3-1 win. I think both Ivor and I scored so we got off to a good start. For me just playing at Main Road was unbelievable… and to score… as well… Well I was Gobsmacked as I had only really seen the place on TV as a kid!! Apart from a 5 - 1 drubbing by City over Notts Co...i did score though.. Lol

5. City started the season well with the Wimbledon win and a decent point at Liverpool in a 0-0 draw – How pleased were you with the start to life at City and settling in at the club ?

Looking back I think I did OK…( I replaced a favourite in Mark Lillis who replaced me at Derby) , which is bloody hard enough to do under normal circumstances but I was made welcome by a great set of lads and I did what I did throughout my career … I DID MY BEST…if that wasn't good enough for some then hey ho…get real!!

6. September sees you hit two goals at Maine Road in a 2-2 draw with Norwich giving you 3 goals in the first four games, but just three games later Billy was gone as City made their way to Southend for a League Cup tie – What do you recall of Billy’s sudden departure ?

Gobsmacked… Couldn't believe it. I'd just given Steve Bruce a torrid time in the Norwich game and Billy had sold the club to me previously… and suddenly you find yourself in limbo.
Three goals in nine games (roughly my career average of 1 in 3 achieved) but new guy takes over and your face don't fit… Even though he tried to sign you when he was previously manager at Oldham Athletic.

7. Did you think you leaving was on the cards at that time or is that something you never even considered so soon after joining ?

Not in a million years did I think of leaving.!!

8. Jimmy Frizzell took over the and after just a couple more appearances under the new boss you were gone despite being just a few months into a three year contract – What’s the story behind the sudden departure and were you given a choice to stay and fight for a place ?

Frizzell took the reigns… we had a chat.. and I was told after only 9 games that I had no part in his plans!. .. I was out!! I don't usually hold grudges in life but this is the exception…I wasn't even given the opportunity to stay and fight for my place… Which I would have been more than happy to do!! So I cannot and still don't understand his reasons.. But I guess that's football for you back in the day!

9. Robert Hopkins was signed and left in similar circumstances that season and he took to the papers to give City some bad press – What were your feelings at the time and now on the departure ?

Hoppy was a good lad but had his own feelings…I personally wanted to be at Man City and fight for a 1st team place, but I was made to feel unwelcome by a certain person... But That's life!! I moved to Walsall… Which was a bit of a drop career wise but boy did I enjoy myself and get my confidence back, some which had been kicked out of me by Frizzell..So it all ended well for me!

10. Ten games and three goals but your City career was over before it really began…..How do you look back on the brief spell at Maine Road ?What do you think of the modern day Manchester City ?

It has to be of fond memories because that's all they are really… Football is a great game… But a game of opinions…my face did not fit at the time BUT I know in my own mind given time I would have been a success at City… That’s for sure!!
As for the team today…. They are a pleasure to watch and have one awesome manager in Pep.. Long may it last!

11. What is Trevor Christie of 2020 up to these days?

I work for Her Majesty the Queen at HMP Services at one of Her hotels!!

Trevor, Thank you for taking the time to share your City memories and wish you all the best for the future.

106993425_10158326610200428_6701944119074143249_n.jpg

107008439_10158326609725428_2107696873842225503_o.jpg

106706552_10158326609825428_7247588273309696844_n.jpg
I flew to Malaga for the pre season games in Marbella and Huelva 1986, while waiting for my bag to come off the carousel I noticed Billy Mcneill and Trevor Christie waiting for theirs too,Billy had not accompanied the team as he was busy tying up Trevor's signing. Being cheeky I asked Billy if it was ok for me to share their taxi "Aye Laddie" said Billy and they dropped me off in the middle of Marbella. When I bumped into other City fans I knew (The Cheadle Hulme Lot who'd come straight from Switzerland where we'd played) before the Real Sociedad game, I had to tell them Trevor Christie had signed and out had gone Fans favourite and City supporting Mark Lillis, don' shoot the messenger!

Always immortalised by this:
514Ik7h683L._AC_.jpg

Whch was a bg thing then as we had a few seasons before and after where there were no City football stickers.

I flew to Malaga for the pre season games in Marbella and Huelva 1986, while waiting for my bag to come off the carousel I noticed Billy Mcneill and Trevor Christie waiting for theirs too,Billy had not accompanied the team as he was busy tying up Trevor's signing. Being cheeky I asked Billy if it was ok for me to share their taxi "Aye Laddie" said Billy and they dropped me off in the middle of Marbella. When I bumped into other City fans I knew (The Cheadle Hulme Lot who'd come straight from Switzerland where we'd played) before the Real Sociedad game, I had to tell them Trevor Christie had signed and out had gone Fans favourite and City supporting Mark Lillis, don' shoot the messenger!

Great story this

Was the Southend league cup game a nil nil? I recall very little of that evening apart from falling asleep on the terrace after having been on the piss all day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.