Tribute to Arthur - Watford 4/12/21

This was a truly distressing case. I had tears in my eyes after reading about the abuse and neglect of that beautiful little boy. I gave my little granddaughter an extra big hug when I saw her the next day.

But I don't see what this is designed to achieve exactly. Making football fans feel good about themselves? Will it stop anyone else abusing their kids or step kids?

I don't understand the modern trend of football grounds increasingly becoming temples to moral rectitude.
Colin, I think it is just an opportunity for supporters to express their deeply felt sorrow, after all they/we are human too. And to send a message just like taking the knee does, that some things in society are completely unacceptable. No, it won't bring him back but I can guarantee that where this happens there will be many tears shed.

They should stop all football for a minute whilst everybody claps - including the players and officials. This is one of the most heartbreaking murders - up there with what that twat Huntly did to those two little girls. These fuckers don’t deserve to live at our expense.

This was a truly distressing case. I had tears in my eyes after reading about the abuse and neglect of that beautiful little boy. I gave my little granddaughter an extra big hug when I saw her the next day.

But I don't see what this is designed to achieve exactly. Making football fans feel good about themselves? Will it stop anyone else abusing their kids or step kids?

I don't understand the modern trend of football grounds increasingly becoming temples to moral rectitude.
Definitely understand doing a tribute at the Birmingham game, but at other grounds? What he went through was appalling and tragic, but appalling and tragic things happen all over the world every day. The urge to somehow be a part of the response seems misplaced to me as is the thirst for violent retribution. But I’m sure I’m in the minority here and all respect to those going to the game who want to join in with it.

Not for me.
I don't want to be reminded of the horrendous death of a child when i just want to escape real life by watching sport for 90 minutes.
Shit like this proper cuts me up. I remember the Baby P story a few years ago and it fucking broke me. Probably more so because my son at the time wasn’t much older. Like you though I don’t want to dwell on it and I don’t intend on reading any details of this case.
It’s just another in a long long list of examples of the human race being full of cunts.

iv'e never taken to this minutes applause, it was only brought in because a few morons couldn't keep their traps shut out of respect for the dead, bring back the minutes silence and expose the twats, applause has nowhere near the same effect, though i would gladly applaud the death of those two evil bastards

Agree with this. Most of us go to football to escape and I’m sure other football fans feel the same, that when I watch City the only thing that matters is trying to get three points. I don’t want anything else to matter for the 90 mins.

That said, organising charity donations and the like among fans groups, I completely get.

I'm not sure if it started with the fear that West Ham would ruin the minutes silence for George Best (the day after Liverpool couldn't even keep quiet at the ETIHAD for fifteen seconds)) or whether it was the little Everton toddler who'd been murdered just before the Merseyside Derby, but following those incidents it gradually became the norm for a minutes silence to be replaced by a minutes applause.

City are no better, because the annual silence for the loss of loved ones and the Remembrance Day Tribute have both morphed into horrible applause.

Yesterday was no better. A truly horrific murder and we find ourselves clapping when a silence before all the games would have been far more appropriate.

Agree with this. Most of us go to football to escape and I’m sure other football fans feel the same, that when I watch City the only thing that matters is trying to get three points. I don’t want anything else to matter for the 90 mins.

That said, organising charity donations and the like among fans groups, I completely get.
I've always said football has a power that few other communal activities have. But I bet a child went to bed wet or hungry last night, or suffered severe physical, emotional or verbal abuse. Or maybe even died as a result of neglect or worse. Maybe someone responsible for that was even at a game and joined in.

And while I don't want to knock Taking the Knee, its main purpose seems to be to make non-racists more aware of racism. That's not a bad thing, and is worthy in itself, but has any racist seen it and thought "I'd better not be racist any more"?

I've always said football has a power that few other communal activities have. But I bet a child went to bed wet or hungry last night, or suffered severe physical, emotional or verbal abuse. Or maybe even died as a result of neglect or worse. Maybe someone responsible for that was even at a game and joined in.

And while I don't want to knock Taking the Knee, its main purpose seems to be to make non-racists more aware of racism. That's not a bad thing, and is worthy in itself, but has any racist seen it and thought "I'd better not be racist any more"?
I’d like to just stick to Remembrance Sunday and things connected to the club specifically and the region of greater Manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.