Two anecdotes summing up City in the 80's

Mad Eyed Screamer

Just finished reading Paul Stewart's book - very harrowing reading (I thought Whitey's book was harrowing but this was beyond that.....) however, two stories within the book made me laugh and realise what a comedy club we were in the mid - late 80's....

When signing for City.....
''In that first meeting I was introduced to Freddie Pye, a scrap metal merchant, who was director, the coach Jimmy Frizzell - and the coach driver whose name was Derek. I remember thinking ''What the fuck is the coach driver doing here?'' (I learned that he would sit on the bench, and got so involved in team affairs that he was invited to contract talks. He was into everything)

At Spurs and the bright lights of London
''One night we met Elton John, George Michael, the singers Pepsi and Shirley and Petula Clark. Another night Rod Stewart and his then wife Rachel Hunter were there. When I was at Manchester City, you were more likely to bump into Little & Large....''

Last edited:
Sums up the club at the time, ran more like a pub team than a so called professional outfit. I remember little and large getting off the first team coach at away grounds, they got a bigger cheer than the players lol!

Who remembers going to that school just around the corner from Maine Road and watching Willie Donachie warming the players up in the gym through the windows. We were in the premier league then, incredible looking back.

Typical City.

I remember going to Wembley to watch Northwich Vics play Telford in the FA trophy, the same day we got relegated v Luton, and Northwich fans singing "city sitting down city sittiing down", whilst sat down in the floor.

If there was a cup for cick ups, City would win it every season. That's one I particularly remember.

Last edited:
From the ticket office to the souviner shop.and the catering. everything was second class .and dont get me started on the state of the bogs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.