UCAS issue

yatesy94

Hey I'm a bit at my wits end at the moment. I'm currently a second year college student and I've applied to 5 Universities using up all my options in the process. Had a change of heart recently and I want to stay in Manchester as I've found a course which is ideal for me at MMU (History/English combined). However UCAS have become quite the stumbling block. I've rang them up as well as general office at MMU, and they both told me that in order to for them to consider me to gain entry - I have to reject all my Uni offers to stand a chance of getting into the course I want and re-apply.

I know a lot of this is down to me as I've left it quite late, but I was wondering if anyone has any info about this sort of stuff, as no doubt they'll leave me in the dark for weeks before they come up with a decision. It's basically just like one big roll of the dice. Nowt important though. Just my education and future career possibilities they're toying with, as if I'm not stressed enough.

Cheers in advance.

I don't know anything about this stuff whatsoever but, if I was you, I wouldn't be rejecting other Uni's until UCAS say yes.

Could you not go to another uni then transfer next year??

They are quite correct I am afraid. You only get 5 applications, otherwise people would apply to dozens.

do it, you will get accepted into MMU no problem. 1st year History is abit boring though, be warned

best thing I think you can do is go for the one you think you'd enjoy most out of the 5, go there for first year. If you do end up loving it then you can stay if not then get onto MMU in the January and start sorting out a transfer.

Don't think you can do anything at the moment except reject your offers and hope MMU have spare places available in August, but that's a big risk when you can go to another uni and maybe find that you actually love it. I went to the Uni of Wales in Lampeter which is a 2 road town in the middle of nowhere to do Archaeology(a course I'd never considered doing) but I knuckled down, made the most of it for one year and I've now transferred to Durham to do Archaeology Bsc and I always wanted to go to Durham in the first place.

You can manipulate it how you want to and being brave and making a bold decision to go somewhere else will teach you a lot and make you mature a lot quicker and you'll get to meet some good people and you never know, you might end up loving it, and if you don't you can always move back with those experiences under your belt.

What unis do you have offers from? Or have applied to?

I think the above posters are correct, I would worry about turning down places for another uni, without knowing if they have space, would accept you etc.

You could try ringing up mmu's admissions, and explaining the situation and sounding hem out. If they are likely to, or have made, all the offers to fill the course, then you know where you stand.

Otherwise, you could gamble and if it works, great, if not take gap year. Youre what, 18? Seriously don't let it stress you out. You're young and have plenty of time to make mistakes, and you will make mistakes. Just remember that by fucking up, we learn. If you have to take a gap year, it'll probably turn out to be a great decision. If you go volunteering etc it will be a great decision AND look good on your Cv. It may also change your perspective on things, who knows maybe you'll want to go to uni elsewhere.

But yeah, youre too young to stress it, keep a cool head and react as best you can to the circumstances.

Wait for all of your offers. When you receive your last offer call the admissions office or get your tutor to. MMU will then decide on the phone whether they would offer you a place. Usually. If they say yes you decline all offers you have and re apply, think its called ucas extra now. They will effectively hold the offer for a week or so while you do the extra application.

Best you can hope for.

mcb1207 said:
Wait for all of your offers. When you receive your last offer call the admissions office or get your tutor to. MMU will then decide on the phone whether they would offer you a place. Usually. If they say yes you decline all offers you have and re apply, think its called ucas extra now. They will effectively hold the offer for a week or so while you do the extra application.

Best you can hope for.

Yeah that's what I've been advised mate to apply through ucas extra. I'll have to ring the admissions office at MMU tomorrow as I'm on half-term at the moment and received all my offers. Very reassuring - thanks for your advice everyone. Fingers crossed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.