UCL versus Europa league

plattlanebenches

I had a discussion with a rag mate who said that winning the europa league was better than qualifying but not winning the champions league.
I disagreed calling it the consolation cup but then gave it some more thought and I’m now not so sure.
Just interested to get fellow blues views.

Rather depends on how deep one goes in the CL and the prize money earned; after all, that is arguably its greater attraction. From the attending supporter's perspective, the variety of teams in the Europa League means there is greater novelty in the places to visit, certainly more than the CL, but not much else.

I had a discussion with a rag mate who said that winning the europa league was better than qualifying but not winning the champions league.
I disagreed calling it the consolation cup but then gave it some more thought and I’m now not so sure.
It's like saying winning the Championship is better than finishing 17th in the Premier League. It isn't.

The Europa League will always be a bit of an enigma for me, while it's great to win a trophy, and a European trophy at that. For a club with top 4 ambition or a club who is cemented in the top 4 winning the Europa League has a hint of failure to it as it's a reminder how poor you were in the champions League. For a club such as a west ham banging on the door of European places and someone who isn't expected to be top 4 it's a massive achievement.

While I'd be happy is we somehow won it it definitely has consolation written all over it as we shouldn't be anywhere near the competition.

I wouldnt swap it for what we have currently done, but sometimes think it would have been cool to spend a few years in and around the late stages of the Europa League. Could have softened the shock of the first few years in the CL maybe

It's like saying winning the Championship is better than finishing 17th in the Premier League. It isn't.
I think the fans winning the championship would be happier than those finishing 17th, I think fans of a team winning the Europa would be happier than those losing in the groups or last 16. Obviously doesn't mean qualifying for the Europa is better than the C/L unless of course you think you have no chance of winning the C/L.

Your rag friend won't have to worry about winning either for the foreseeable.

To be fair it would be better winning the Europa league than going out before the Semi finals of the Champions league.
However I would never say that to a Rag, I just remind them that if they were to win it then it was only because we were not shit enough to qualify for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.