UEFA Champions League changes

train man

Team supported
only football team to come from Manchester
UEFA set to make major Champions League rule change after Man City & Liverpool thrillers (msn.com)

Proposed (confirmed?) changes make my blood boil. It's already a way-overrated competition which has little interest until the qtrs, and now to reach last 16 they want to have 10 games (instead of 6) to qualify for last 16 (if you finish in top 8), or 12 games for the next 16 clubs in a single league. An absolute bloody farce.

And then, when it gets to the business end of things, after all those unnecessary no-interest games, they want to do away with two-leg semis and have a one-legged much-more-of-a-lottery single leg semi, in a neutral location, to be quickly followed by the final at same location (like Portugal in lockdown). So, let's have loads of irrelevant games to reach the key stage, then fuck-it, get it finished asap, with fewer fans being able to attend and, oh yes, four sets of fans in the same city. That's gonna work well.

Fucking MORONS!

they want to do away with two-leg semis and have a one-legged much-more-of-a-lottery single leg semi, in a neutral location, to be quickly followed by the final at same location
I’m not a fan of this, but it’s just like the FA Cup

I actually like the idea of the semi and final being one off games and held close together. It was exciting when they had the quarters, semi & final all together during the pandemic all in the space of 10 days or so.

Not a fan of most of the other changes though. Group games are the most boring stage of any tournament so expanding that section just makes me roll the eyes. The less said about the 2 extra spots for teams who miss out based on past success the better.

I actually like the idea of the semi and final being one off games and held close together. It was exciting when they had the quarters, semi & final all together during the pandemic all in the space of 10 days or so.

Not a fan of most of the other changes though. Group games are the most boring stage of any tournament so expanding that section just makes me roll the eyes. The less said about the 2 extra spots for teams who miss out based on past success the better.
Would be fucking expensive. What city can reasonably host hundreds of thousands of fans from four teams?

Paris is already expensive as fuck, granted there'll be some rooms crop up when Madrid (or us) go out, but it's OTT already.

Would be fucking expensive. What city can reasonably host hundreds of thousands of fans from four teams?

Paris is already expensive as fuck, granted there'll be some rooms crop up when Madrid (or us) go out, but it's OTT already.
The football authorities make all the right noises about the importance of fans but the reality is we (fans) don’t register as important with them.
Wherever top level footy is played the grounds can probably be filled. This proposal would look like a half way house to a club World Cup. this already exists in one form with the ludicrous Club World Championship.
What better way for those currently in power at UEFA to scupper current plans to globalise the game like the plans for a bi-annual World Cup
Top level football will eat itself.

Im not going to fall for the click bait article but the headline says recent Man City and Liverpool ‘thrillers.’ Really the dippers game was that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.