UEFA Champions League changes

Not sure how this would work logistically. If you get to the semis do you book the whole week away because you could be there for the final? If you get beat in the semi you are staying in a city abroad for a few days afterwards for no reason.
Alternatively you could be there for the semi, fly home and fly back again a few days later for the final - when most flights will already be booked up.

How does the number of games compute?, to reach a 'last 16', currently, 8 groups, 4 teams, home&away, 96 games?
League of 36(wtf??), all play 10games (so 180 games), then 16 play home/away play-offs (16games).
I've been at pub playing comedy darts today, so sorry if calcs are wrong, but is that 196 games to get from 36 teams to 16, vs 96 games to get from 32 teams to 16..?? What the fuck is happening here..??
Imo, it's just diluting an already overrated competition into, well, more of a farce than it already is...

I actually like the idea of the semi and final being one off games and held close together. It was exciting when they had the quarters, semi & final all together during the pandemic all in the space of 10 days or so.

Not a fan of most of the other changes though. Group games are the most boring stage of any tournament so expanding that section just makes me roll the eyes. The less said about the 2 extra spots for teams who miss out based on past success the better.

It was exciting until sterling missed and I smashed my TV with the remote

good luck to them finding neutral cities...or at the least neutral countries. Unless that is we're going to be treated to continued repeats of the 2019 Europa League final in some far flung shitholes like Baku?
What would be the possibility of uefa selling the competition to bidfi g cities anywhere in the world. Champions league final in Riyadh anyone?

I think it will be the Swiss system. I would explain it but I am going out in an hour so haven’t enough time!!
Goodness me. I had to look that up, but how on earth UEFA would expect to get that right when it can't even get a simple draw right, us anyone's guess.

At least it is good to know it works well for other great sports like bridge and scrabble.

Aka How do we make more money. It will make the competition far shitter than it already is but they don't give a fuck about that.

the overwhelming majority of fans will simply accept it after maybe a couple of banners, they'll still be there paying their money whilst uefa makes more and more money.

Only super league levels of outrage and protest will prevent them doing what they want and that's never going to happen because most fans don't see the bigger picture and there's no immediate drastic threat to rally against and TV and sponsors won't be against it to help push the backlash like they were with the super league.

It's enough to almost want the super league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.