UEFA coefficients

SWP's back

Seen a few posters bemoan the fact we have no EL to pick up some more coefficient points but we need to remember that the rolling 5 year period sees 2007-08 drop out, a year when we didn't receive any points.

So whilst this year has not been great, we are currently ranked 19th (up 9 on last year, so pot 2 of seeds is more or less guaranteed for next season at any rate)

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient</a>

34oq2if.png

Agreed
But it puts any chance of being a Pot One team back by a number of years as fornthe next five we will have this season's stupendous effort in the calculations

One simple fact needs to be understood if you are to progress to the knockout stages of the CL: If yer team and yer players are good enough, yer'll get out of the group stages.

Last season and this season we and they weren't! Simple.

Buy the necessary player(s) in January or July and we will progress regardless of whether we have the champions of top nations or the minnows of island FAs that MANUre seem to get.

squirtyflower said:
Agreed
But it puts any chance of being a Pot One team back by a number of years as fornthe next five we will have this season's stupendous effort in the calculations
Yeah pot 1 is still some way off but it is unlikely we could get such and appalling group every year.

Plus unless I am mistaken, we will receive some more points for just being in the CL at a later date don't we?

SWP's back said:
squirtyflower said:
Agreed
Yeah pot 1 is still some way off but it is unlikely we could get such and appalling group every year.

Plus unless I am mistaken, we will receive some more points for just being in the CL at a later date don't we?

Mate, you've got your calculations all wrong, and, European competitions aren't over. So whilst we're done collecting points for this season, Dortmund, Malaga, etc. are going to continue to collect them.

We're moving back to Pot 3 as almost nailed on certainty now. It's a big shame and a big problem come the draw next summer.

BillyShears said:
SWP's back said:
squirtyflower said:
Agreed

Mate, you've got your calculations all wrong, and, European competitions aren't over. So whilst we're done collecting points for this season, Dortmund, Malaga, etc. are going to continue to collect them.

We're moving back to Pot 3 as almost nailed on certainty now. It's a big shame and a big problem come the draw next summer.
Really? Even though what we picked up replaced a blank year?

If that's true then my apologies.

SWP's back said:
Really? Even though what we picked up replaced a blank year?

If that's true then my apologies.

Yep ... I think Cobwebcat is the forum expert on UEFA co-efficients and I remember reading a post of his earlier this season which said that were we to finish bottom of our group, with the points collected by the other teams in the CL, it was an almost certainty we'd drop to pot 3 again.

The unfortunate thing for me is that Pot 2 is ok. Not the end of the world. We couldn't have gotten a group that tough out of Pot 2 again IMO. But if we're back in Pot 3, we're essentially in with the also rans of Europe so can guarantee ourselves at least two top teams from top leagues in Europe.

Not checked but would be interesting to know how many above us and below are likely to qualify next season. At a glance i am not sure we will make pot 2, but what is definite, once next season starts we lose 20 points so we have to have a really good European campaign otherwise pot 3 will be a certainty the season after

Had a topic about this a few weeks ago.

We will be in Pot 2 next year too. That is about 90% sure.

But after that 2008/2009 goes out with 20.00 and 2013/2014 comes in and if that is another early CL fiasco we go to Pot 3 for 2014/2015 draw.

Pot 1 is very unlikely now for years. As 2007/2008's low point was in the system until now the same will happen with the current season's low coeff.point.

We will be Pot 2 team most likely for years with some danger to be Pot 3 and no real chance for Pot1. Only with consecutive reaching later stages and later rounds in CL/EL.

But these are only coeff. points. Napoli and Dortmund had lot less coeff points than us thats why they were in Pot 4.
Did it stop them to play well, get their tactics/selections right?Not really.
So it hardly can be a serious excuse for us.

Damanino said:
Had a topic about this a few weeks ago.

We will be in Pot 2 next year too. That is about 90% sure.

But after that 2008/2009 goes out with 20.00 and 2013/2014 comes in and if that is another early CL fiasco we go to Pot 3 for 2014/2015 draw.

Pot 1 is very unlikely now for years. As 2007/2008's low point was in the system until now the same will happen with the current season's low coeff.point.

We will be Pot 2 team most likely for years with some danger to be Pot 3 and no real chance for Pot1. Only with consecutive reaching later stages and later rounds in CL/EL.

But these are only coeff. points. Napoli and Dortmund had lot less coeff points than us thats why they were in Pot 4.
Did it stop them to play well, get their tactics/selections right?Not really.
So it hardly can be a serious excuse for us.

I think the fact that teams like Malaga, Paris, and Dortmund are through to the knock out stages means our pot 2 presence is in serious jeopardy. I'm going to try Cobwebcat's thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.