UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Lee said on The Athletic podcast that he thinks City won’t win the League next season, because we could have a points deduction.

Assuming that means he thinks we’ll lose at CAS and the Premier League will punish us too.
It's just wishful thinking. I would love to see the Premier League try and deduct points off us for something that happened in 2012 when the PL did not even have FFP regulations. Another one for our lawyers I think. A long and fruitless legal battle would be great news for Richard Masters in his new job when he is trying to re-build football after Covid. He's not that stupid. Sam Lee keeps making a fool of himself.

I agree. I think both parties will be told on Friday with a view to an embargo release on Monday. It gives City and UEFA time to prepare their reactions. It will be interesting to see if anything leaks out over that weekend.
If CAS wanted to make the public announcement on the Friday, and it sounds like that is what they were planning, then I think City and UEFA would be informed of the decision ahead of that, maybe at least 48 hours ahead of it.

It's just wishful thinking. I would love to see the Premier League try and deduct points off us for something that happened in 2012 when the PL did not even have FFP regulations. Another one for our lawyers I think. A long and fruitless legal battle would be great news for Richard Masters in his new job when he is trying to re-build football after Covid. He's not that stupid. Sam Lee keeps making a fool of himself.
I’m not sure our lawyers would be any use in that scenario. The only way city get a points deduction is if they’re found ‘guilty’ and the ban is not overturned. If the ban is upheld, even if it’s reduced, we are very likely to have fallen foul of PL rules as well. Now, given that we have ‘irrefutable evidence’ that we’ve done no wrong and we’ve being paying lawyers footballers wages to sort this out, if we’ve still come out on the wrong side of it I wouldn’t hold out much hope of fighting any PL imposed sanctions using the same proof and the same lawyers.

Reactions: cjn

You're right - they'd struggle to sanction us for the actual breaches themselves, if we're found guilty.

They do, however, have a specific rule around misleading UEFA to gain entry to European competition - which would be far more likely to be their line of attack if CAS rules against us.

Given Masters is a specific Liverpool and United plant, you'd have to say the appetite would absolutely be there to ensure they removed us from contention for the League for the next couple of years - with all the recruitment challenges that brings!

Sam Lee seems more concerned about being seen as Mr “look how PC I am” on Twitter than actually reporting anything important about City. Remember that The Athletic and him got it very wrong at the end of last year with regard to City escaping any UEFA punishment, I genuinely can’t recall him breaking anything semi-important with regard to City either but could be wrong there. Plus, he’s a Utd supporter. He’s often on the 93.20 podcast and just seems to warble on a great deal and at the end of it, you’re thinking, did he actually say anything?

I’m not sure our lawyers would be any use in that scenario. The only way city get a points deduction is if they’re found ‘guilty’ and the ban is not overturned. If the ban is upheld, even if it’s reduced, we are very likely to have fallen foul of PL rules as well. Now, given that we have ‘irrefutable evidence’ that we’ve done no wrong and we’ve being paying lawyers footballers wages to sort this out, if we’ve still come out on the wrong side of it I wouldn’t hold out much hope of fighting any PL imposed sanctions using the same proof and the same lawyers.
Would the Premier League want to launch a retrospective action against City for an offence which happened in 2012? The PL rules are different to the CL and didn't come in till 2013 so presumably the PL would still have to make their own case against City. Would the PL also take retrospective action against other English clubs which have breached FFP and give them points deductions? Why single City out?
At the same time why take any action when the FFP rules have since been changed because of the unfair way they were being interpreted back in 2012? I just can't see why the PL would want to get involved (apart from the obvious one of keeping LFC and MUFC happy) I think Masters would do everything he can to avoid going to war with City. Football needs external investors more than ever in this crisis.

You're right - they'd struggle to sanction us for the actual breaches themselves, if we're found guilty.

They do, however, have a specific rule around misleading UEFA to gain entry to European competition - which would be far more likely to be their line of attack if CAS rules against us.

Given Masters is a specific Liverpool and United plant, you'd have to say the appetite would absolutely be there to ensure they removed us from contention for the League for the next couple of years - with all the recruitment challenges that brings!
You may be right but I just can't see that the PL would want this battle now. Imagine, City get a points deduction for breaching FFP eight years ago while LFC get off scot free for the criminal hacking of a rival's computer systems. Why would Masters open this can of worms just a few months into his job when he is facing the sport's biggest ever financial crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.