UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's another brilliant piece in the New York Times which puts the UK media to shame. I know some on here have criticised the NYT (and they have got some things wrong) but they seem to be the only news outlet which understands the bigger picture. Perhaps the US media has a better insight into the politics of sport and finance. A lot of the coverage in the English mainstream media has just been totally moronic.
When you look at some of the absolute shite that large portions of the public read and believe it's not surprising really.

I don’t know it but I’m offering an opinion.

The club is very isolated on this as I don’t see an anti-FFP grouping within European clubs. PSG are now fine as they have their man on the inside and FFP isn’t the slightest concern to them. Finally, the legal process is a lottery so having scores of lawyers doesn’t make it any less so.

I'm not convinced the legal process is a lottery. If we have a strong fact based case, we should win if we are being judged by competent impartial officials. The problem is that UEFA are patently not impartial and I don't view any of football's governing bodies as especially competent.

It’s our ability to spend our way out of every situation that makes us so unpopular. In that sense we won’t win this case whichever way it goes.

We have global influence with the owners of CFG. We have so much power. UEFA will realise they need to get in line. A new corrupt organisation but one we have influence over instead!

After the events of the last few days I cant help but think that City have made a huge strategic error. Apparently we were offered a way out of this with a technical breach and small fine. (Similar to the Fifa case). By refusing to negotiate it seems we have pushed UEFA to go nuclear with us.

Even if the ban is overturned by Cas this doesnt clear us and its my understanding we have to carry the fight on in Swiss courts(?).

Even if we are eventually cleared which is far from certain the reputational damage of the ban and potential future case with UEFA is enormous. Pretty much the whole footballing world has heard Manchester City are cheats for the last few days and will narative will continue and wont stop even if we win the case. It will turn to, 'well what did you expect when they can buy the bsst lawyers'

Wouldn't it have been sensible to take the fine and carry on as normal. Who would care apart from Johny from Liverpool on twitter.

By taking this risk we have potentially affected our ability to compete for the next 3 4 years but also will forever be known as cheats. We can all argue with internet warriors till we are blue in the face but the label will surely affect out ability to attract commercial sponsorship and grow our fan base in the developing football markets such as India, China and the US.
I think UEFA would have just kept coming back to get us at the first opportunity. With hindsight we should have taken them on last time and not taken the pinch. This battle was always giong to happen. The timing could be better but I think we were backed into a corner. Why should we plead guilty if we are innocent?

which is why if we do have the ban/fine overturned, we must then press for damages to ensure the myth of a technicality is squashed

Agree with both you and Will, I've a feeling the club are going to try and end this sham once and for all and won't be just leaving this following the CAS ruling, we've drawn a line in the sand (no pun etc).

Come on lads your going hyperbole to win an argument. By all accounts we were offered to be found guilty of a technical breach. This doesnt equate to murder or sexual assault its a slap on the wrists.

I think we all agree whats happened in the last few days has been disastrous and will have long reaching affects. My point is there could and seemingly was a way out of this.

If UEFA has enough evidence to give us a two year ban why do you think they would offer us a small fine as a way out, doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Come on lads your going hyperbole to win an argument. By all accounts we were offered to be found guilty of a technical breach. This doesnt equate to murder or sexual assault its a slap on the wrists.

I think we all agree whats happened in the last few days has been disastrous and will have long reaching affects. My point is there could and seemingly was a way out of this.

Exactly, having gone back and watched and read the evidence you are right. The money has come from AD revenues so while not directly funded by SM he and his assets (ADUG) have been benefactors of this and have used it to their advantage. They have breached FFP on a technicality. What City are appealing here is that UEFA would not listen to any evidence and had reached a punishment before the investigation began. If they are successful in this appeal they will have their sanction reduced but not removed. They are guilty on a technicality whether we like it or not and have made a huge error of judgment and have deliberately played UEFA's system. FFP is unfair as it ensures that world football is dominated by certain clubs.

Their own ignorance and contempt in which they hold UEFA has put us in a right mess. I just can't believe that our owners have been so stupid as to have these type of conversations by unencrypted email that could easily be hacked. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.