UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest we are probably guilty subsiding the airline but state aid happens all the time.

Natwest still sponsor various sorting events with tax payers money, the other week there was public demand to help British steel and last year Nissan were offered millions to build a new car in the uk. Financial doping, depends how you look at it.

It’s not illegal to do this and that is probably the city stand point. It’s been declared in the company accounts for Etihad airlines and is legal and has nothing to do with uefa where the sponsors get there money!

Shame Uefa doesn’t scrutinise it’s own sponsors and ask where the money has come from and can the sponsor afford it
I don't think we are guilty, I just hope that still counts for something in this day and age by the time this is all over with.

There is a big difference between the state of Abu Dhabi subsidising their state owned airline(via say the Crown Prince's order) and Sheikh Mansour or ADUG subsidising Etihad... Sheikh Mansour has nothing to do with Etihad and ADUG is privately owned by him alone.

The money wouldn't need to come from Sheikh Mansour, they(Abu Dhabi/Etihad) want the sponsorship, it's probably the biggest advertising space they have and they probably feel like they need it.

Does anyone know about the airline business? It would be interesting if there was another angle(not that there aren't enough already with the cartel) why certain people don't like the Etihad sponsorship. They may have been taking losses but are they gaining market space or is there a fear of that?

Last edited:
I don't think we are guilty, I just hope that still counts for something in this day and age by the time this all over with.

There is a big difference between the state of Abu Dhabi subsidising their state owned airline(via say the Crown Prince's order) and Sheikh Mansour or ADUG subsidising Etihad... Sheikh Mansour has nothing to do with Etihad and ADUG is privately owned by him alone.

The money wouldn't need to come from Sheikh Mansour, they(Abu Dhabi/Etihad) want the sponsorship, it's probably the biggest advertising space they have and they probably feel like they need it.

Does anyone know about the airline business? It would be interesting if there was another angle(not that there aren't enough already with the cartel) why certain people don't like the Etihad sponsorship. They may have been taking losses but are they gaining market space or is there a fear of that?

In 2009 the sponsorship partnership was pretty much the only foray into sports sponsorship, the Airline was 5-6 years old and had 6.3m passengers that year and a turnover of $2.3bn, During 2009-2015 using city as their main brand awareness campaign they grew to carry 17.6m passengers and turnover $9bn in 2019, that is huge growth during the worldwide financial crisis and it would be very hard to retrospectively say the city partnership was poor value as a contributing factor to such phenomenal growth. They also employed an additional 18,000 staff in that time frame again during the world wide recession.

In 2009 the sponsorship partnership was pretty much the only foray into sports sponsorship, the Airline was 5-6 years old and had 6.3m passengers that year and a turnover of $2.3bn, During 2009-2015 using city as their main brand awareness campaign they grew to carry 17.6m passengers and turnover $9bn in 2019, that is huge growth during the worldwide financial crisis and it would be very hard to retrospectively say the city partnership was poor value as a contributing factor to such phenomenal growth. They also employed an additional 18,000 staff in that time frame again during the world wide recession.
As a side issue, the airline was burning money through a series of ill chosen acquisitions such as Alitalia and an Indian airline. Forbes described their accounts as 'a sea of red'. The chief exec was sacked. Thus, they could not meet their obligations under the sponsorship agreement or any other bills and Abu Dhabi Exec.Council had to bung them big time. But that is standard practice for state owned airlines and nowt to do with us.

Not that I can garner. We have deals all lined up and agreed in principle with the players and their reps. Some are on the proviso of others moving on, so that will bog some of them down, naturally.

I also expect at least three incomings, so a little contradictory to what the MEN have reported this week.
At the moment, that is surely Rodri, Cancelo (once Danilo leaves) and our 3rd choice CB target after De Ligt to Barca/PSG and after we decide Maguire is too expensive. Don’t know who that 3rd choice is though.

As a side issue, the airline was burning money through a series of ill chosen acquisitions such as Alitalia and an Indian airline. Forbes described their accounts as 'a sea of red'. The chief exec was sacked. Thus, they could not meet their obligations under the sponsorship agreement or any other bills and Abu Dhabi Exec.Council had to bung them big time. But that is standard practice for state owned airlines and nowt to do with us.

yeah they made some shite decisions but the only element concerned with sponsorship is brand awareness and the growth figures seem to suggest they achieved that in buckets full.

At the moment, that is surely Rodri, Cancelo (once Danilo leaves) and our 3rd choice CB target after De Ligt to Barca/PSG and after we decide Maguire is too expensive. Don’t know who that 3rd choice is though.
I would go for Alderwield at Spurs, I think he has a release clause of £25m? Better, cheaper option than Maguire.

I don't think we are guilty, I just hope that still counts for something in this day and age by the time this is all over with.

The financial relationship between the Abu Dhabi government and their state owned airline is between them and has nowt to do with us or uefa.
How Etihad arrive at commercial decisions about how to spend their money, be it on sponsorship or whatever, has again got nowt to do with us (except as recipients) or uefa.
People may not like it, but I don’t hear the same noise being made about various clubs being sponsored by emirates airlines, another Middle Eastern state owned business.

That wont happen though with the way we do things but hey You never know we might wont to make an example.

Bridge, Adebayor, Mangala. Not exactly the same, but we took hard approach with some players at time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.