UK anti terror booklet 2003

davymcfc

Was just talking to a friend and explained to him that before the UK went in to Iraq in 2003 we were sent a booklet with information on what to do if the country was attacked on a mass scale. I was about 13/14 at the time so absolutely shit myself and was all for the army going in to protect us. Looking back it would seem it was an act of propaganda.

I’ve tried to find the booklet online to show him and can’t find any trace of it. Seems strange because I was sure every household was sent one. Can anyone else remember this?

Was just talking to a friend and explained to him that before the UK went in to Iraq in 2003 we were sent a booklet with information on what to do if the country was attacked on a mass scale. I was about 13/14 at the time so absolutely shit myself and was all for the army going in to protect us. Looking back it would seem it was an act of propaganda.

I’ve tried to find the booklet online to show him and can’t find any trace of it. Seems strange because I was sure every household was sent one. Can anyone else remember this?

Funny you should post this as I read in the paper today that ex - SAS and current author of books such as The One That Got Away, Chris Ryan has written a book about survival techniques for the general public. Most of the tips do seem to be centred on acts of terrorism whilst holidaying abroad. Although useful probably not good flight or pool side reading.

Yep, vividly remember receiving this book in the post and would have been a year younger than you. Strangely enough, I haven't known of anyone outside Manchester that remembers getting one. But yeah, I remember feeling like we were going to get nuked whilst I was at school. Also remember being paranoid of dirty bomb attacks, as I recall PC Stephen Oake being killed whilst arresting a man in North Manchester for plotting a ricin attack.

Edit: interesting to see that there is no trace of it online. I remember it clear as day, a small white booklet that was smaller than A4, and iirc it had something like a traffic light on the front....a red, yellow and green circle.

Last edited:
Can't remember the booklet - interestingly, based upon the previous post, I was enjoying the bounties of a new city (London) so may have been distracted/missed out- but unfortunately/fortunately I am old enough to remember this:

Last edited:
Yep, vividly remember receiving this book in the post and would have been a year younger than you. Strangely enough, I haven't known of anyone outside Manchester that remembers getting one. But yeah, I remember feeling like we were going to get nuked whilst I was at school. Also remember being paranoid of dirty bomb attacks, as I recall PC Stephen Oake being killed whilst arresting a man in North Manchester for plotting a ricin attack.

Edit: interesting to see that there is no trace of it online. I remember it clear as day, a small white booklet that was smaller than A4, and iirc it had something like a traffic light on the front....a red, yellow and green circle.
That’s the one mate. Literally can’t find anything to the extent that I was worried it was all in my head. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!

That’s the one mate. Literally can’t find anything to the extent that I was worried it was all in my head. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!

You aren't the only one, i've a lot of mates who don't remember ever getting it. Wonder if it was a case of their parents not letting them see it, or time just washing the memory away....it would have been interesting to know the distribution method of them, where and when etc....had plenty of friends my age at uni from around the country who don't remember getting them either. At the time it was terrifying and can't help but share your views on the purpose - I was a 12 year old kid with no cares except City, Warhammer and sweets but remember watching ITV News the night the army pounded Iraq, and feeling "safe" all of a sudden....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.