UK far right trouble July/August 24

People think that illegal immigrants get free housing and everything handed to them. It's legit impossible to make it in the UK as an illegal immigrant. You can't rent, use the NHS, have a bank account, work as an illegal immigrant. This is not America where you can get pretty far even without papers.
I know you mean well but this isn't true. They absolutely do get free housing/hotels and loads of other food stuff which some 'natives' at the bottom of our society struggle to get. This is because we have legal / humanitarian obligations to immigrants.
We need to diffuse the resentment by looking after the poorest in our society better so their resentments do not make them fodder for the far right.

One of the most frustrating narratives by people who seem reasonable and not necessarily on the side of protestors here is some idea that you can't talk about immigration. It's a nonsense, I'm 38 and all anyone my entire adult life is done is talk about immigration. It has dominated every general election since I could vote (Michael Howard "are you thinking what we are thinking" were one of the main billboards in my first ever voting GE), it has dominated Brexit and beyond, it has been at the forefront of public life since the second world war. We talk of nothing else.

Immigration is high now because the Tories have changed how they've calculated numbers, illegal immigration is worse because Brexit has fucked us. Even Corbyn's Labour didn't stand on a platform of open borders, no one has. Ultimately the "honest" conversation about immigration never actually is "honest": if you don't want every social service in the country to collapse, if you want your pension to be paid, if you want food on your shelves, if you want universities to be funded, these are the numbers that we currently need, give or take a couple of thousand, to sustain them. The price we pay for that is a richer and diverse culture, a better English football team, racists being upset that they have to see their kids going to school with Asian kids, and like any population a tiny minority being criminals. That's the honest conversation.

Would it be nice if we could create the conditions where perhaps our social security system didn't collapse if our economy didn't grow constantly, would it be nice if people born here lived in conditions where they could start families younger than they currently do, maybe. All up for debate, but no one ever votes for those policies: they vote for house prices rising, pensions staying strong, and a strong consumer culture.
I'm 40 and I've always been baffled by it - I live in Devon which is as white as you could ever imagine and I've still had to call out or listen to absolute bollocks about immigrants stealing jobs.

There are myriad reasons for young men to be angry in this country, immigration has been placed forefront to deflect from ruling class negligence (as best) management of the state. Bollocks.

Refugees where the men eat in different rooms to the women or tend to be young males this is not media lying I work in some of these places

Heating on 24/7 , no money sparred for them but oap’s lose winter flue allowance
It's a lazy comparison and one I hear all the time. If it's not pensioners it's "veterans" and so the wheel turns. The idea is repeated over and over, gaining new traction: the assumption being that pensioners/veterans are being done out of something by "illegal immigrants."
After the shit that's gone on this week you'd have to be mad to want to emigrate here.

This is fucking horrendous in our city.

It shows the black lad being targeted incident in full from a different angle and how it starts (8min 42 onwards)

Most of the reprobates aren’t from Manchester though, I maybe wrong but that’s how I see it.

I know you mean well but this isn't true. They absolutely do get free housing/hotels and loads of other food stuff which some 'natives' at the bottom of our society struggle to get. This is because we have legal / humanitarian obligations to immigrants.
We need to diffuse the resentment by looking after the poorest in our society better so their resentments do not make them fodder for the far right.
That's not what he said, is it? Of course they will be housed in hotels/hovels and fed while they are processed. That doesn't alter the fact that they cannot rent, open a bank account, and use our public services before paying into the system. In other words they can't build any meaningful life if they're here illegally.

I agree with you that our poorest need looking after; but that injustice is a tale as old as time and shouldn't justify what we're currently seeing in our cities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.