Ukraine teams banned from the Champions League?

Dogtanian

The silly season already seems to have hit its peak…

Everton and Manchester United reportedly could be given bonus places in the Champions League and Europa League respectively due to the on-going crisis in Ukraine.

According to this article by a Spanish journalist, the escalating tensions in the country due its dispute with Russia could see the five teams who qualified for Europe excluded from their respective competitions

The article claims UEFA regulations forbid teams from taking part in UEFA competitions when their country has issues of civil order.

Shakhtar Donestk and Dnipro finished first and second, therefore earning Champions League spots while Metalist Kharkiv, Dynamo Kiev and Chornomorets finished in the top five and gaining a Europa League place.

Should all five be kicked out then the places could be offered to the countries with the highest UEFA coefficient – currently Spain and England.

That in theory would see Sevilla and Everton – sides who finished just outside the Champions League places – promoted to the competition while Valencia and Man Utd would take their places in the Europa League.

Back in February Dynamo Kiev were forced to play a Europa League tie in Nicosia due to anti-government protests in Ukraine. However, Tottenham still played their tie in Dnipro as the situation there was not considered as dangerous at the time.

Despite that I would not get your hopes up about a bonus Champions League place for Everton, even if UEFA have changed the rules before they are keen to avoid having more than four teams from one country in the competition and such actions would also open up a legal minefield.

UEFA are unlikely to be happy with the possibility of a whole season’s worth of European games being played at a different stadium or even country due to safety concerns either, but that is probably the most likely outcome of any investigation rather than any bonus places elsewhere.

Re: Metalist Banned from the Champions League

if these clubs are excluded, they'll surely just promote lower ranked teams up through the qualifiers - no need to drag the rags into this

DiscoSteve said:
if these clubs are excluded, they'll surely just promote lower ranked teams up through the qualifiers - no need to drag the rags into this

Yeah, that would make more sense and seem the most likely option. Just increase the amount of teams who can progress from the qualifiers or select the highest ranked ones to gain automatic entry e.g. Arsenal.

I'd give Cyprus and Denmark the CL spots back that they lost this season, the teams go into the qualifying rounds based on their coefficient as non-champions (probably 3rd qualifying round).
The Swiss Champions would qualify automatically into the group stage instead of going through play offs.

So, what to do with 4 Europa league places? Belgium and Romania move into the next allowance category and gain a place each. If, however we did this lower down, 2 of Liechtenstein, San Marino and Gibralter (is this the Gib football team?) would get the spots and they may struggle.

So this is where the UEFA rescue plan comes in, why don't we give these places to the strongest 2 leagues that just so happen to have teams that give the highest viewing figures. Oh look, the next ranked league team in England is the rags- UEFA are bound to give it to them!

Actually, I don't see why the Ukranian teams can't play their home matches in another country if their league has not folded and they are struggling to guarantee the safety of visiting supporters.
I doubt it will come to this though, the King of chocolate seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Haha i have no recollection of posting this and no idea where i got it from, i need to stay off the net when pissed.

bluemoon73 said:
The silly season already seems to have hit its peak…

Everton and Manchester United reportedly could be given bonus places in the Champions League and Europa League respectively due to the on-going crisis in Ukraine.

According to this article by a Spanish journalist, the escalating tensions in the country due its dispute with Russia could see the five teams who qualified for Europe excluded from their respective competitions

The article claims UEFA regulations forbid teams from taking part in UEFA competitions when their country has issues of civil order.

Shakhtar Donestk and Dnipro finished first and second, therefore earning Champions League spots while Metalist Kharkiv, Dynamo Kiev and Chornomorets finished in the top five and gaining a Europa League place.

Should all five be kicked out then the places could be offered to the countries with the highest UEFA coefficient – currently Spain and England.

That in theory would see Sevilla and Everton – sides who finished just outside the Champions League places – promoted to the competition while Valencia and Man Utd would take their places in the Europa League.

Back in February Dynamo Kiev were forced to play a Europa League tie in Nicosia due to anti-government protests in Ukraine. However, Tottenham still played their tie in Dnipro as the situation there was not considered as dangerous at the time.

Despite that I would not get your hopes up about a bonus Champions League place for Everton, even if UEFA have changed the rules before they are keen to avoid having more than four teams from one country in the competition and such actions would also open up a legal minefield.

UEFA are unlikely to be happy with the possibility of a whole season’s worth of European games being played at a different stadium or even country due to safety concerns either, but that is probably the most likely outcome of any investigation rather than any bonus places elsewhere.

Would not be surprised with Gill in the corridors of power...........would just show how corrupt UEFA are................and of course the press would not say a dicky bird..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.