United and Liverpool EFL project - proposal rejected

I don't buy or rarely read any papers now, but it seems that the actual enemy to the English game (fsg and the rest of the American high rollers) are getting attention - read it quick before it gets shut down

I love this bit:

This is a ham-fisted attempt at emotional blackmail, emanating from Liverpool — the club of sentimental old tosh, trite slogans and self- proclaimed ownership of the moral high ground.

Martin Samuel's piece was excellent. This one is on another level. Absolutely brilliant.

English football faces a number of genuine, serious problems. Some are immediate and some are long term. There is, for instance, no point in denying that a number of EFL clubs will die without immediate financial help, but the long term problems of EFL clubs will not be solved by a version of Margaret Thatcher's ideas of trickledown which keeps them on life support but certainly not alive and kicking. Most EFL clubs cannot compete because their finances have either been sapped to the point they cannot compete or have never enabled them to compete at any level above the lowest. Some of these clubs have been among the biggest - Sunderland, the two Sheffield clubs come to mind, but Birmingham City topped the attendance league once in the 1950s. Even the smallest clubs have their loyal and devoted fans who have a right at least to be able to go and watch their team and football should do all it can to prolong their existence. Fans of Bury must feel really bitter when reading that but they have been let down awfully by FA, PL, EFL and all. Financial problems have to be solved and that will not be easy.

What is certain is that they will not be solved by some scheme dreamt up by Manchester United and Liverpool, whether in its 17th or 117th draft. These two are the greediest, nastiest, slimiest, most treacherous organisations in English sport and the idea that Henry and Glazier, who haven't yet grasped fully the idea that in association football the ball is round, can make any positive contribution, is ludicrous. I would be so proud if it proved to be City who had leaked these proposals but ...

I would not demean myself to consider these proposals. I would simply say that EFL clubs need help URGENTLY, governance of English football does need reform but this must not be hurried, the structure and finances of the English game do need serious consideration by a representative body, reforms suggested and ideas considered. It would also help if grasping and malevolent Yanks were told that there is no place for them in any capacity in the English game - but they pay their debts as they go.

Some clown on Twitter was making out that this was a Great Thing, devised by the left-wing cities of Liverpool and Manchester.

I mean there's deluded, there's being a Red Scouse Cultist, and then there's believing that these proposals are remotely "left wing".

I am coming to the conclusion that some people will believe literally anything.

The PL should set up an independent fund. They could put say 1% of the total TV revenue into the fund each year. When an EFL club goes into administration, the fund buys out the club, pays off its creditors and then manages the club until a fan owned group can be established to take over the club at a nominal amount, with the proviso that the club must then operate on a 51% fan owned model going forward and its primary creditor would be the independent fund.

That way there's a safety net, clubs don't go out of existence and fans reclaim their club and chancers know there's little future to driving a club into the ground.

The PL should set up an independent fund. They could put say 1% of the total TV revenue into the fund each year. When an EFL club goes into administration, the fund buys out the club, pays off its creditors and then manages the club until a fan owned group can be established to take over the club at a nominal amount, with the proviso that the club must then operate on a 51% fan owned model going forward and its primary creditor would be the independent fund.

That way there's a safety net, clubs don't go out of existence and fans reclaim their club and chancers know there's little future to driving a club into the ground.
Excellent proposal. I would add that when a club gets into such a state it should be transferred gratis and the previous owners left with zilch, like Hicks and Gillette were at Scousepool.

There needs to be a way of stopping asset strippers. One way might be to stop sales of grounds, because I think a lot of these asset strippers buy football clubs with a long-term vision of selling the ground for "development".

FA Chairman Greg Clarke has almost slammed the door on the red shite, he walked away from talks at the start of the year amongst threats of a breakaway league, he reminded them of the FA’s power of control in English football, and any new league would have to be ratified by the FA, as well as also licensing clubs to be able to play in Europe (my favourite part) I guess they’ll now turn to their European counterparts for collusion

The major flaw in the EFL is club ownership. Clubs are acquired, I avoided using the word purchased, and then systematically asset stripped using offshore accounts and third party mortgaging. Ownership passes through complex arrangements that are nearly impossible to track if a rescue bid for a stricken club is mounted. Bury F.C. fell under these circumstances.
So there has to be a more stringent and cast iron method of ownership to protect at least 51% of the club. Community membership would a possible means, whether through local council funding or public appeal. This would not close the door on benefactors wishing to input wealth, as has happened to some EFL clubs to a positive effect. However, these benefactors would not have control of the club as they do now and if their intentions are honest it should not be an obstacle to their investment and they would still have a major say in how the club is run

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.