United (H) Post Match Thread

I think stats flattered us... yes 23 shots but only 5 on target? they had 6 on target i think, and had the best chance of the game with martial... ours were half chances at best (especially when sterling is on the end of things then its a flip of a coin). We didnt look like scoring and you could tell with their attitude and work-rate from pretty early on in the game. As many have said on here... hopefully its a wake up call.
half chances, sterling 2 foot out from goal with a tap in,and sterling with a free header 6 yards out, rodri against the post , gundo clear shot on goal but the ball stuck under his feet, theres 4 without thinking,

Can't play for a 0-0, when your forward decides to give away a pen from the 1st minute off.

I firmly believe the game plan was supposed to be more cautious and let the Rags come to us, but being down 0-1 at less than 5 minutes wrecked that.
I still can't figure out what the fuck he was doing back there. Maybe in the last couple of minutes, when you're defending a narrow lead, you can understand the forwards dropping deeper. Not that bloody deep, though. And Stones and Dias had Martial covered; he was a minimal threat at that moment.

I was not suggesting playing for a 0-0 and you are right that the penalty ruined things. My point was we should have swamped the midfield like we did in the League Cup semi and played a false number 9. Our basic standpoint should have been we would not allow any counter attacks. We could have picked them off when they ran out of steam in the second half. We started with the wrong formation and I am sure Pep and the players are well aware of that today. We have been mugged three times in recent years by United at the Etihad and each match was exactly the same.
But here's the thing, we have to go out and attack them because we are 0-1 down. At 0-0, we could have sat back like they did and hit them on the break, but 0-1 put the situation in their favor. The Rags immediately retreated into their box since they got the pen.

Pep did say before that sometimes due to individual mistakes, we never get to see his actual plan for the game, and I believe that this was one of those games. I don't think the team played well, and I think Foden/Bernardo should've started this game. However, overall, we did create alot of chances, but our players refuse to bury them, something Pep can't do anything about.

I still can't figure out what the fuck he was doing back there. Maybe in the last couple of minutes, when you're defending a narrow lead, you can understand the forwards dropping deeper. Not that bloody deep, though. And Stones and Dias had Martial covered; he was a minimal threat at that moment.
Knowing Gaby, I'll say it's over-eagerness. Honestly, I can't fault him for effort, but it was really daft.

The derby is a big game. Yaya gone, Kompany gone, Aguero on the bench.. where are our big game players???
To be fair I thought Stones was great yesterday. He tried to drag us back into the match. Dias didn't play as well but he gave 100 per cent. Some of the others went missing and I am sure you know which ones. For me Bernardo and Foden are both big game players and should have started. We really need a new striker to lead the line but who can also adapt to different systems.

Agree but also you don't risk a bad challenge in the box particularly when you have two colleagues making sure everything is under control.
It was totally unnecessary but the boy will learn from the experience.
not even sure he "tackled" he was pressing, martial moved to his right and jesus got his legs tangled , stupid i know when there was no danger

But here's the thing, we have to go out and attack them because we are 0-1 down. At 0-0, we could have sat back like they did and hit them on the break, but 0-1 put the situation in their favor. The Rags immediately retreated into their box since they got the pen.

Pep did say before that sometimes due to individual mistakes, we never get to see his actual plan for the game, and I believe that this was one of those games. I don't think the team played well, and I think Foden/Bernardo should've started this game. However, overall, we did create alot of chances, but our players refuse to bury them, something Pep can't do anything about.
I agree but believe we could have overcome the blow of the penalty if we had more energy on the field and the right players including Foden and Bernardo. In my view we were never in control of the game. United's finishing was as bad as ours and they could have scored more. Kev had his worst game for us and doesn't look anywhere near fit.

United and Liverpool have training sessions on how to run as though you have rickets in the penalty area.

It was a penalty. If it had been Sterling in their box and we didn’t get it we’d be livid. Instead of complaining we should learn from it and make sure we have someone to put the penalty away when we win one. Hopefully we’ll address it on the training pitch and in the summer transfer market.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.