United or Chelsea wouldn't have got out this group either..

Regardless of whether they are 7 place in Serie A and City 1st in PL, Napoli are known to have a home fortress, teams like Milan, Inter and Juventus are scared to play there. I mean the likes of Inter last won there in 1997. They just beat Inter 3 nil at San Siro. They are a facsimile of Inter 09/10 in the Champions League campaign. Fast and clinical on the break, well organised defensively and don't require alot of possession to win a game and tie.

Couldn't careless about United or Chelsea, lets just worry about ourselves for now.

I just think that English sides can be tactically naive a lot. Add the fact that the PL hasn't got the best players anymore like in 2006,2007,2008 period, I don't see English teams winning the CL for a long time; Specially if Madrid keeps Mourinho, Barca keeps on being Barca and Bayer Munich keeps on being Bayer Munich (and buy Gotze, lol). Italians are always the tactical masters and their teams are learning that playing with a team full of 40 year olds isn't good anymore, so when they are youthfull and competitive Italian teams, they will always make it extremely hard for English teams, no matter the money difference (see us vs. a Napoli and Arsenal vs. Udinese)

boloyev said:
I just think that English sides can be tactically naive a lot. Add the fact that the PL hasn't got the best players anymore like in 2006,2007,2008 period, I don't see English teams winning the CL for a long time; Specially if Madrid keeps Mourinho, Barca keeps on being Barca and Bayer Munich keeps on being Bayer Munich (and buy Gotze, lol). Italians are always the tactical masters and their teams are learning that playing with a team full of 40 year olds isn't good anymore, so when they are youthfull and competitive Italian teams, they will always make it extremely hard for English teams, no matter the money difference (see us vs. a Napoli and Arsenal vs. Udinese)

good post

So that makes it ok then, that united or Chelsea wouldn't have made it either?
Bottom line is we are, on paper, the best team in this group, however Bayern obviously have the experience to piss a group with 2 newcomers and a club there for the taking. Napoli were in the same position us, complete newcomers, yet we have a far, far better squad than them. Mancini got it wrong last night, and changed it when it was too late. When we finally had width you could see napoli begin to crack. If Richards and Clichy had started we would have had a better chance, but they didn't. We should have finished second in this group, by now I mean with a game to go. As it looks though a team in the same situation as us but with a lesser squad look like they will. The experience united and Chelsea have would have got them through - our superior squad should have done the same.
Let's just hope it doesn't affect the league form. Clichy and Richards back on Sunday please bobby.

marco said:
TTS said:
Absolutely believe this. Napoli were fucking amazing tonight, as they were at the Etihad. I don't believe we've been playing THAT much worse in Europe than in the PL - but in this group, the standard of the opposition is frighteningly good, and it's showed.

they played one game to rob the ball and break, nothing amaizing in that we got punished by an average side

I think that's a bit harsh..

An average side ??

Dont' kid yourself..

Lets face it, were being bitter here. We can't be making excuses that we lost. Were sounding like United fans here.

TTS said:
Absolutely believe this. Napoli were fucking amazing tonight, as they were at the Etihad. I don't believe we've been playing THAT much worse in Europe than in the PL - but in this group, the standard of the opposition is frighteningly good, and it's showed.

you are making sound like they hammered us, nothing could be further from the truth

some reality checks needed here, we are not far off the mark in a difficult group

To perhaps put things into more context.

We could fail to qualify with ten points, widely perceived, as Mancini also predicted, would be enough.

United are currently on nine and still need a point in a group accepted across the board as the easiest of the draw phase.

It's typical City right there. Smash Bayern Munich and go out on ten points.

I suspect both Napoli and Bayern would have beaten Chelsea and United in the home ties.

Bayern are certainly stronger than the team which knocked United out a year ago and won at the Allianz Arena.

Arsenal would also be third and a decent bet at the moment is no English team to make it past the round of 16...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.