United thread 2019/20

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Ric, 8 Jun 2019.

1. Onholiday(somemightsay)

Onholiday(somemightsay)

Apologies - yes, and a cheat

dennishasdoneit likes this.
  2. BlueindianNewcity

BlueindianNewcity

I agree with your general point, but Goa has always been known for its love of footbal.
    "Normally other states are fond of cricket but association football is the most popular sport in Goa and is embedded in Goan culture as a result of the Portuguese influence."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa

ali benarbia's studs likes this.
  3. its grim up north

its grim up north

Team supported:
    The Fourmidables

Agree with you but early to mid noughties, when we started going, there was no Media coverage at all, I had to phone home or ask the latest intake of tourists in our hotel for results, so nobody knew anything about English footie. My point stands, now they are getting the product they are making their own minds up and make no mistake we are well known and liked now.

4. laserblue

laserblue

When I visited Calcutta (Kolkata) 25+ years ago I was surprised to learn how popular football was there.

5. ali benarbia's studs

ali benarbia's studs

up to mid table....whoooooooo

6. Onholiday(somemightsay)

Onholiday(somemightsay)

Does that mean they are back?

I kid you not, I even saw a headline in reference to their performance with the term 'swagger' being banded about...........

7. deegee33

deegee33

Yeah, the "swagger " that comes when you move 7 spots up in the table....to get to 7th place. Hahaha. SCUM.

Trevor Morley's Tache likes this.
  8. roy.or.r

roy.or.r

This is so true. I was born and raised in Kolkata. I have lived there for 22 years and football there is a religion kind of. The Mohan Bagan-East Bengal Derby is one of the fiercest derbies in the world. Bengalis (people who live in West Bengal of which Kolkata is the capital city) generally have preferred football to cricket. They do even now. During the 50s and 60s when the Indian national Team was good, there used to be atleast 5 to 6 Bengalis in the first XI regularly. Most of the great Indian football players were Bengalis before it all went downhill. God knows what happened but you will hardly find anyone from Kolkata in the National team anymore.

9. KS55

KS55

It disappeared into the black hole

10. bluevengence

bluevengence

I had a WTF moment about 16 yrs ago whilst walking around Anjuna market when i came across a stall holder wearing a snide City top.