United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I'm not sure about this view that Mancini's history with us would prevent him from being interested in the United job. Yes, I think he formed a genuine attachment for our club when he was here. However, he's steeped in Italian football and seems to have attitudes that are fairly common in that country.

One of those is that players and managers appear much more willing to serve the bitter rivals of clubs they've previously represented. I think he'd go to United if he really felt it were a desirable career move.

I still doubt it'll happen. For one, it relies on Italy not qualifying for the World Cup in November/December 2022, as he won't walk out beforehand if they're going to take part. They do have a tough play-off final and will have to win in either Lisbon or Istanbul to get through, so it's not a given, but they're the best side of the three in question and may well make it count.

Second, the sainted Ralf could easily do well enough either to continue in the manager's job or to have a significant upstairs role at United. If the latter, he'd be far too interventionist for him and Roberto to rub along easily.

Still, IMO Mancini is likely to decide on the prospect with the kind of dispassionate attitude most of us have when deciding whether to take a new job. I wouldn't personally blame him for that or regard it as tarnishing his legacy with us.

One of the largest reasons why top class managers should avoid the rag job is their history of sacking managers without giving the full reasons why they sack the managers.

I get it that the chosen one was a tosser and that Moyes could have been out of his depth and that LVG couldn't string a coherent sentence together if his life depended on it, that last victim being the Norwegian show gimp.

Who hired these people? The board at the swamp hasn't taken one iota of blame, and top manager who goes there has got to be an idiot of the highest order, even Herr Flick wont commit himself and he's a journeyman at best.

I'm afraid I'm not sure about this view that Mancini's history with us would prevent him from being interested in the United job. Yes, I think he formed a genuine attachment for our club when he was here. However, he's steeped in Italian football and seems to have attitudes that are fairly common in that country.

One of those is that players and managers appear much more willing to serve the bitter rivals of clubs they've previously represented. I think he'd go to United if he really felt it were a desirable career move.

I still doubt it'll happen. For one, it relies on Italy not qualifying for the World Cup in November/December 2022, as he won't walk out beforehand if they're going to take part. They do have a tough play-off final and will have to win in either Lisbon or Istanbul to get through, so it's not a given, but they're the best side of the three in question and may well make it count.

Second, the sainted Ralf could easily do well enough either to continue in the manager's job or to have a significant upstairs role at United. If the latter, he'd be far too interventionist for him and Roberto to rub along easily.

Still, IMO Mancini is likely to decide on the prospect with the kind of dispassionate attitude most of us have when deciding whether to take a new job. I wouldn't personally blame him for that or regard it as tarnishing his legacy with us.
I can only think of two top Italians that made surprise moves(Pirlo and Baggio), and even classing the moves as 'to rivals' is questionable. Maybe Pirlo's move to Juve?(I know he was at Inter for a while but that was a loan). Personally, I think there's more to Mancini for him to even think about taking over that shower of shite, unless he's planning on doing a major Clarkie on em.

Expecting the usual wall to wall Rag media bullshit this weekend , if they get a result against Palace it will be the dawn of a new era which should be over by the time the Xmas decorations are taken down.

Expecting the usual wall to wall Rag media bullshit this weekend , if they get a result against Palace it will be the dawn of a new era which should be over by the time the Xmas decorations are taken down.

Remember when they were declaring themselves league champions in January? These giddy fucks never learn.

I can only think of two top Italians that made surprise moves(Pirlo and Baggio), and even classing the moves as 'to rivals' is questionable. Maybe Pirlo's move to Juve?(I know he was at Inter for a while but that was a loan). Personally, I think there's more to Mancini for him to even think about taking over that shower of shite, unless he's planning on doing a major Clarkie on em.

I've no idea where the criterion of "surprise" comes from - I referred only to being willing to serve two rival clubs - and I'm not sure whether you class Milan and Inter as "rivals". I do, though, and since the late 1990s the following big-name Italian players have represented both (I won't bother listing the seventeen foreigners, who also include some huge names): Bonucci, Coco, Cassano, Pazzini, Ganz, Favalli, Balotelli, Brocchi, Baggio, Vieri and Pirlo.

I also believe that seven men in history have coached both clubs, too. For comparison, the figure is one who's managed both us and the rags, one for the blue and red scousers, and two for Arsenal and Spurs.

Both Milan clubs arguably have a degree of rivalry with Juventus, given that historically these have generally been regarded as being Italian football's big three, and plenty have represented one of the Milan outfits plus Juve. It's also not all that uncommon for players to have played for both Lazio and Roma, or Juve and Torino, at some point during their careers).

So, yes, I think Italian football culture is more attuned to this kind of thing than ours is, and so Mancini would be somewhat atypical if he were to make a big thing of it when determining whether to take a particular job. And in terms of whether he'd go to Old Trafford or not, I set out below the reasons I think he'd consider it seriously in the currently hypothetical scenario of him being a top professional football coach looking for employment at a big club in summer 2022.

I know that City fans would like to believe that Bobby Manc is one of us and wouldn't even countenance going there. Now, they may be right - but my personal opinion is that I suspect they aren't. As it happens, I don't think he'll end up in the job for other reasons, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't think seriously about it if they made him an offer.

One of the largest reasons why top class managers should avoid the rag job is their history of sacking managers without giving the full reasons why they sack the managers.

I get it that the chosen one was a tosser and that Moyes could have been out of his depth and that LVG couldn't string a coherent sentence together if his life depended on it, that last victim being the Norwegian show gimp.

Who hired these people? The board at the swamp hasn't taken one iota of blame, and top manager who goes there has got to be an idiot of the highest order, even Herr Flick wont commit himself and he's a journeyman at best.

Whether a manager SHOULD avoid that job and whether they WILL are different points. You're talking about what, in terms of its global reach, is an enormous club and it has a capacity to generate money to match, whether people like to acknowledge that on a City message board or not.

They'll throw a ton of money at the transfer market. They've been relatively mediocre since the architect of their previous successes left over 8 years ago, so anyone who can engineer a decent one-olff season to win the title there, or fluke a CL, will be hailed as some kind of messiah who's restored them to the glories of Ferguson's days. They'll give you a massive contract and you'll trouser an eight-figure sum if it doesn't go your way and they fire you.

Sure, they need an overhaul of the football operation if they're going to mount a sustained challenge to the other top PL clubs. But for a world-class coach who backs himself to show that in his work and is given guarantees that they won't impose on him players that he doesn't want, why wouldn't he fancy a couple of years there on the above terms? There'll be plenty of takers, I assure you, who'll look at it without the blue-tinted glasses.

Reported now that they are looking at Gerhard Struber of NY Red Bulls to be Wreck it Ralf's assistant manager - seems Ralf is there for the long term and the rags are looking to build a structure to enable them to hold their own in the Championship...........
One wonders whether RB are thinking of buying a franchise in the PL…

where CFG and city lead, RB and united follow…

I expected a media w*nkfest but the last couple of weeks have been ridiculous. I’m sick of Rangnick already and he hasn’t been in charge for a single game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.