United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Match of the Day. At the very end of the review of the Brentford vs Utd. game Alan Shearer said something really strange: "I'm convinced that someone at Man United leaked the Arnautovitch story, just to gauge the reaction. The reaction was so bad, they had to pull out....". What did he mean?

Was he suggesting that a striker already at United did it to safeguard their own position? If so who might that be? Was he criticising United fans for their reaction? Because as much as we like to mock them (and today has been a good day for that), they kind of did a good thing in blocking the recruitment of a guy with wrong-headed views.

It was all very odd. Neither Lineker or Micah Richards picked him up on the remark or asked him what he meant, well they had spent ages on the game already!

I think he meant a player at united released the info to force a negative fan reaction because it's shocking how poorly they operate off the pitch (and on it now).

Just watched Match of the Day. At the very end of the review of the Brentford vs Utd. game Alan Shearer said something really strange: "I'm convinced that someone at Man United leaked the Arnautovitch story, just to gauge the reaction. The reaction was so bad, they had to pull out....". What did he mean?

Was he suggesting that a striker already at United did it to safeguard their own position? If so who might that be? Was he criticising United fans for their reaction? Because as much as we like to mock them (and today has been a good day for that), they kind of did a good thing in blocking the recruitment of a guy with wrong-headed views.

It was all very odd. Neither Lineker or Micah Richards picked him up on the remark or asked him what he meant, well they had spent ages on the game already!
Doesn't have to have been a player defending his position, it could have come from higher up.

Businesses and politicians do it all the time, leak a potential change of personnel or policy to the press and see how the world reacts. If the reaction's negative then you can do something else and pretend you never honestly considered the idea that got leaked, and you don't know where that rumour came from.

If it did come from higher up it suggests that at best there was uncertainty or uneasiness around the idea of Arnautovic somewhere in the hierarchy (if you really want a player, you want him regardless of what other people think). At worst - given I think Arnautovic was considered due to Ten Hag knowing, liking and having previously worked with him - someone's already trying to undermine the new manager.

Not sure Redknapp & Neville like each other any more.

They both have a point.

The owners should have invested in the stadium, facilities and a competent football decision-making hierarchy.

But they have spent shit loads on players, and regardless of whether or not they're the right or ideal players for the club, they're professional athletes, many of whom have had some level of success at their previous clubs, and the standards they're playing at are shocking.

You either have talent or you don't, but there's no excuse for not having commitment or work rate.

I took it that he was implying the rags hierarchy wanted to gauge the reaction over signing a player who has had accusations of racism being thrown at him. Think he was even banned for a game or two at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.