United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last sentance

pathetic-ohgod.gif

He’s not welcome here the spoilt red fuck the tarquins or dippers will have him

It's was the media is was like it is now before bacon when they had done naff all to get the coverage and why I said it was that Tragedy made them media darlings! That's how I saw it at the time!

Who had more 1st div titles before bacon

Liverpool
Everton
?

Assuming that you would allow that football history goes right back to the 1890s (i.e. the founding of our club?!):
Villa had seven titles by the beginning of the eighties of the last century. So level with United before ‘bacon’ (I'm fond of bacon, especially rashers of back bacon actually, so I'm a bit reserved about using it, it's a bit of a compliment to him). Also Arsenal were on ten. Sunderland had six, so nearly as many as United! But I will admit that their last title goes all the way back to the thirties. So I'll allow that it wasn't that many clubs — three had more than United, one level with them.
And on your first point, I'm saying I agree with you. But in my view it was a British, and specifically English, phenomenon. It was the sympathy vote of the British press, and the English conviction that the Busby babes would have carried all before them (we'll never know) had they survived. I don't think the rest of the world gave much of a toss about United. The world became aware of them post blanket coverage by satellite television. You could say that about every club, of course. But Real were definitely more famous than them until the coming of ‘bacon’; arguably, you could say the two Milan clubs were. Winning the European Cup several times definitely helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.