Unknown Pleasures

After seeing them 3-4 times between 78-79 I bought the album the week it came out , tbh the live shows I had seen were on the whole underwhelming ( it was the days of very little in the way of an alternative music scene , so you basically took what you were given in Manchester , often midweek gigs . joy division seemed to always be on one bill or another )the album was great as were the 2 shows I saw immediately afterwards at an all dayer in a place on Hyde road that used to be the southern sporting club and a place in newton Heath ( think it got wrecked after an Adam ant concert the year after ) they had definitely upped their game under martin hannets stewardship !!
The Southern Sporting Club as you mention was The Mayflower when you saw JD there.

The venue in Newton Heath was actually in Miles Platting and would have been The New Osbourne. It became The Thunderdome in the late 80's hosting mad raves.

dzURrEdh7XCri3iK6

The Southern Sporting Club as you mention was The Mayflower when you saw JD there.

The venue in Newton Heath was actually in Miles Platting and would have been The New Osbourne. It became The Thunderdome in the late 80's hosting mad raves.
Cheers , the old memory plays tricks . went to that Mayflower a few times . there was even a fall album where mes was photographed at the old speedway stadium more or less opposite .
dzURrEdh7XCri3iK6

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the JD book last month and currently on his NO book

I don't normally read "music" books, but I actually quite enjoyed Hooky's account of JD, especially his early life growing up/schooling in Manchester and the early days of the band.

What's the NO book called and when does it go up to? Does it cover the "split"? Is there another one about the Hacienda, or is that the same book?

I don't normally read "music" books, but I actually quite enjoyed Hooky's account of JD, especially his early life growing up/schooling in Manchester and the early days of the band.

What's the NO book called and when does it go up to? Does it cover the "split"? Is there another one about the Hacienda, or is that the same book?
He did 3.
Hacienda book and then JD book. No idea he spent childhood days living in Jamacia!

The NO book is called Substance. 750 pages thick and goes up to 2007 when he left.
750 pages of shagging, drug taking and rock n roll!

I picked my copy up the day of City's parade. It is £5 in both Fopp and HMV in town. All 3 are a fiver in Fopp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.