Unlikely City fans

In fairness, a number of the people who have been mentioned here (like Kevin Hart, Jackie Chan, Dirk Benedict) are just celebrities who have been invited to visit City at some point and have been photographed holding up a ceremonial shirt to mark the occasion, but it's all just publicity. There's no real evidence they follow the team, they just have been wrapped up in City PR at some point. The Hoff is questionable, as he's put pictures up on social media wearing his Yaya shirt years after receiving it, but hasn't really done much to suggest he wears it for anything other than he likes the shirt and the player.

However, in order to positively contribute, I will add this: I believe that we can possibly claim the first PM to ever openly support a club. Arthur Balfour, 1st Earl Balfour and Prime Minister from 1902-1905 was a City fan, IIRC because he was persuaded quite early on to be a patron/financial supporter of the club and ended up being a fairly major benefactor.
He was also an official patron of MUFC and once he lost his East Manchester seat he never mentioned City again. He did wear a City rosette at the 1904 final though. Earliest 'celebrity' fan is something I've searched for. LS Lowry was a Blue (born 1894) and I was hopeful that music hall star George Robey because he did charity events at Hyde Rd and was friendly with Meredith, but in later life he is recorded as a Chelsea fan and the man who picked Iutd's 1909 kit!

He was also an official patron of MUFC and once he lost his East Manchester seat he never mentioned City again. He did wear a City rosette at the 1904 final though. Earliest 'celebrity' fan is something I've searched for. LS Lowry was a Blue (born 1894) and I was hopeful that music hall star George Robey because he did charity events at Hyde Rd and was friendly with Meredith, but in later life he is recorded as a Chelsea fan and the man who picked Iutd's 1909 kit!

Fair enough. I guess you could argue that back in the pre-war years people used to be more willing to support Manchester clubs in general, although I know some dispute that. And as for George Robey, I guess you'd have to also watch out for that if his connection to the club was through Meredith, there's also a chance of him defecting after Meredith left in 1906 anyway, so I'd probably have avoided that one regardless. Interesting info all the same, though. I'm obliged as always, Gary.

Fair enough. I guess you could argue that back in the pre-war years people used to be more willing to support Manchester clubs in general, although I know some dispute that. And as for George Robey, I guess you'd have to also watch out for that if his connection to the club was through Meredith, there's also a chance of him defecting after Meredith left in 1906 anyway, so I'd probably have avoided that one regardless. Interesting info all the same, though. I'm obliged as always, Gary.
I do actually quote Balfour as a Blue and share your opinion. For me finding him at a cup final wearing a City rosette and stressing his satisfaction at City's win was enough to say that he did actively support the club then - and the cup spent its first night in Manchester at the Ardwick Conservative Club (adding to Balfour's connection) - but he may well be another like so many modern celebrities who become fans for a period as it will gain them support in some way. Balfour always knew that City fans were his constituents I guess. But I am happy to keep referring to him as a City supporting PM.

Gary James mentions Lowry; I remember a documentary on TV not long before he died. He was asked what he thought about when he was painting. He answered that he thought about City and if we were going to win on Saturday. Some things never change !

Was Lowry a frequent attendee of Maine Road.
Yes. And he painted a scene at Maine Rd. He also refused to go to OT with Harold Riley because iof his love of City. All well documented, although occasionally tv docs try to give the impression that he would've been interested in a Utd. Absolutely untrue. Worth remembering Lowry was ten when City 1st won FAC - that is where I think his interest came from.

Yes. And he painted a scene at Maine Rd. He also refused to go to OT with Harold Riley because iof his love of City. All well documented, although occasionally tv docs try to give the impression that he would've been interested in a Utd. Absolutely untrue. Worth remembering Lowry was ten when City 1st won FAC - that is where I think his interest came from.

Great.Thanks for that.
My favourite artist.I was at an exhibition a few years back at the Tate Britain.
The guide said he was a Bolton fan.
I pointed out that he was a Blue.
No idea if she changed her info after.
To be fair he did do a masterpiece of the crowd going to a match at Boltons ground.

I do actually quote Balfour as a Blue and share your opinion. For me finding him at a cup final wearing a City rosette and stressing his satisfaction at City's win was enough to say that he did actively support the club then - and the cup spent its first night in Manchester at the Ardwick Conservative Club (adding to Balfour's connection) - but he may well be another like so many modern celebrities who become fans for a period as it will gain them support in some way. Balfour always knew that City fans were his constituents I guess. But I am happy to keep referring to him as a City supporting PM.
There's a modern day connection between Balfour and City. His constituency chairman was a man called Charles Dreyfus, who was an anglicised Frenchman. Dreyfus set up Clayton Aniline, the site of which now houses the CFA.

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration and Dreyfus was also instrumental in that. He was Jewish and an ardent Zionist, and employed Chaim Weizmann, who became the first President of Israel. Dreyfus introduced Weizmann to Balfour (and also to Winston Churchill who was MP for Oldham at the time). It's likely that some of those meetings would have taken place at the Clayton Aniline works so not only have City ruined football, they've also ruined Middle East politics.

Johnny Ball always claimed to be a Liverpool fan according to Zoe in an interview years back - she claimed her picking MUFC led to banter etc.

Yes he is, he has a season ticket at anfield. Him and wife were on an episode of 'allstar mr and mrs' (or whatever it's called) and it formed an answer to one of the questions.

MES, Mark E Smith is a Blue apparently, this might be on here, but I can't be arsed trawling through the 30 pages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.