Unwitting Footballer Encounters

Exchanged a few words with the then retired Frank Worthington in M&S in Manchester in the early early 90s. As I was leaving, up comes Rag Lee Sharpe to engage him in conversation.

Shay Given was on our flight to Faro a couple of weeks back. My missus got a selfie with him. He had to do the selfie for her on HER phone because she doesn’t know how to do them! Poor bloke was only waiting in line for the toilet!!

Went to liverpool on business many years ago. Went for a swifty. Into the bar rolls the ugliest meanest looking bastard you ever did see. Name of Tommy Smith.

I have met lots of footballers and a few managers over the years
Not unwittingly,all whilst working
Most were nice,some were horrible

The most memorable,and it was over 10 years ago that I went to his house
He’s an ex Man Utd player lives in WA15
I went in the house and I was convinced someone had broken in and left a dirty protest,animal dung all over the white carpet,big burn marks in same carpet,and graffiti on the walls
And he was an absolute prick as well

I haven’t been to many recently as all the clubs have player liaison personnel now who sort all sorts of stuff out for the players
Most of the younger players can’t wipe their own arses without help

I saw Naill Quinn once - I think just after he left City. I was going to M'cr Airport in the early hours and stopped to fill up in an all night garage. In front of me at the nightpay window was Niall ! He had a couple of minutes banter with me then drove off in a white Peugeot 309 - looked like a basic model lol !

Going up an escalator in the Arndale once I saw Grobbelaar buying a newspaper - he was bending down getting one off the bottom shelf and he stood up as I got to the top. The combination of me going up the escalator and Grobbelaar standing up from such a low position was quite disconcerting - he seemed to be about 25ft tall for a minute !

Also so Schmeichel in the Arndale - very broad chested man.

Finally I said hi to Jill Scott at Wetherby services on the A1 a couple of years ago.

Bailed Taggart out of the Gmex bogs at the Pat Barret fight when working security there as he was beseiged by aotograph hunters - his language was choice to say the least - but the twat was grateful.

Bumped into a very pissed Brian Robson & Norman Whiteside pissed as twats in the Griffin in Hale one night in 1989 and spent an enjoyable couple of hours taking the piss ( went right over their heads they were that hammered ) while having a couple of sherbets with them.

Nigel Gleghorn coming out of johns the chippy in Sale and the great man stopped for a chat - top fella

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.