Urgent help required on Laptop

Nightmare Walking

Can anyone please help me?

I had a small fault with my laptop where the chassis was coming away from the main body in the far corner. As it was still under warranty I decided to send it back to HP to get the fault sorted.

Now the fault was purely superficial and would not require any changes to the software etc.

For some apparent reason HP have decided to reconfigure the whole system and reload the operating system without informing me or asking my permission.

Because of this I have lost everything on my laptop. This includes all my software for uni (PSpice, Multisim, Labview and Matlab) all my uni work, years worth of data for wind speed, direction, iraddiance from the sun (all this data you now have to pay for and is extremely expensive). Worse of all is the fact that I have lost all my Pspice models which I developed myself for a full solar system. This took me god knows how much hard work and time to get working.

Now this would not be so bad but last week the baby managed to write off my external drive my throwing it in water.

At present I am absolutely fuming. There is no available at HP to speak to. Can anyone help me out here? Or have I lost everything?

lost the lot I'm afraid - you should've backed it up before sending it back

hard lesson to learn....

rushts said:
You are far too intelligent to post in the cellar.
Nightmare Walking said:
the baby managed to write off my external drive my throwing it in water.
clearly not after this balls up... :-(

Hopefully they did a quick wipe that just tells the computer that the sectors can be written over.
If they hard wiped it you may be stuck.

You need data recobery app like <a class="postlink" href="https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download</a>
I can probably get you any programs you lost nw if you need such help.

rushts said:

I can't be that intelligent as it looks like I have lost years worth of work. I honestly do not know what to say. I can't believe they have done it and what give them the right to do it.

Nightmare Walking said:
rushts said:

I can't be that intelligent as it looks like I have lost years worth of work. I honestly do not know what to say. I can't believe they have done it and what give them the right to do it.
They probably have some sort of small print which defends them to do this.

They should really tell you this multiple times however and make it very clear about what they would be doing.

cards on the table - I work for HP - they'll use a standard re-image DVD - you MIGHT be lucky in that it just splats the first X percent of the hard drive with the bootable Windows image but its almost on a toss of a coin if you'll find anything - from this zero position its worth a try but DO NOT write anything more to the hard disk whatsoever

worst case is that they decided that with the physical damage to the exterior, there was a chance the hard drive could have been damaged and so replaced it with a fresh one :-(

Nightmare Walking said:
rushts said:

Everything is stored in 'the clouds' mate, i've seen tits n fannies and everthing.

another thought - do you still have that external drive that got wet - the drive it self inside the case may be ok, just the controller electronics may be fried - if you can take it apart and extract the drive inside the case you can fit it into another case (cheapo ebay option) and see if it will spring back to life

hard lesson for everyone on Blue Moon here - make sure you back up your stuff to the cloud, an external drive, another laptop whatever - just make sure you have MORE THAN ONE COPY of everything that's important to you (photos, videos being the common biggies) - don't rely on CD or DVD backups either, they degrade and become unreadable over time - if you can afford it cloud is the best option, because all it takes is ca$h to keep it safe :-)

TCIB said:
Hopefully they did a quick wipe that just tells the computer that the sectors can be written over.
If they hard wiped it you may be stuck.

You need data recobery app like <a class="postlink" href="https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download</a>
I can probably get you any programs you lost nw if you need such help.

Cheers TCIB. At the minute I am a bit gob smacked. It was a purely superficial fault. They had absolutely no need to even power the machine up. I would have fixed it myself but decided to let them do it so as not to violate the warranty.

For the life of me I can not understand why they have done it and what right they had to do it.

I honestly do not know what to say.

Only good to come out of it is that it will force me to stop using PSpice and learn how to use Matlab and Simulink.

For the record I am not clever one bit. I just had to work ridiculously hard to make up for my lack of intelligence compared to others. To have lost everything when there was no need for it has really sickened me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.