US Politics Thread

As I said, I was never a believer in this until I read Dobbs. I now support expanding the court.

Zero reason why it shouldn’t have 13 judges. It was set at 9 to match the 9 circuit courts, there’s now 13 circuit courts.

I do hate the people who lay the blame for everything Trump started on Biden, but I do think that he does bear responsibility for his inability to convince Thomas,
Kavanaugh and ACB that he would expand the court if they did this.

The threat of expansion should have been enough for them to not make some of the indefensible nonsense rulings and unsourced opinions they’ve issued in the last month. They obviously don’t think it’s a real theat, and now nothing will happen they’re only going to get worse in the next session.

Not when the cunts that made that decision based it on their catholic beliefs. Look up ACB and who she’s done plenty of paid talking gigs for. Ultra right wing conservative Christian fanatics.

So no. It’s not remotely nuanced.
And yet the most prominent Catholic in the country disagrees with her and has decried the decision.

There is a qualitative difference between those who recognise and respect the separation between church and state and personal conscience and public life (such as Biden I think) and those such as ACB who would either quite happily sweep away that separation or muddy the waters in service of their own pernicious agendas.

I think the latter are actually in a minority but they are very well organised, well funded and in league with some of the most ungodly people possible and are therefore extremely dangerous.

It is true. It is the same “the state is not enforcing it so we aren’t violating the constitution or any other federal laws” tactic that Texas employed for their de facto abortion ban prior to the Roe v Wade reversal.

Citizen enforcement is the new way of getting around established precedent and law until your holy high council… I mean, the Supreme Court, can nullify the relevant precedent or law.

And even after, it’s a “cheap” way to scale enforcement and create a religious ‘citizen-police’ surveillance state.
Trouble is, we’re not that far behind. Many Tory MP’s voted against extending abortion rights in N.Ireland in 2019, and a similar number voted against improving access in Northern Ireland, just this week.

During Covid, for example, ‘snitching on your neighbours’ was actively encouraged (unless your neighbours lived in or around Downing Street).
This acclaimed Bill of Rights, that nobody wants or asked for, is yet more concentration of power at the centre, (mind you, they’ve got all the money, so having all the power would be the next step).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.