US vs UK culture

True about America. The east is very different to the west and the southern states are completely different to the northern ones.

People in the US are generally more friendly & open than we are in the UK. They tend to be very up-front whereas we are generally a bit more reserved.

Americans tend to have more national & civic pride than the world-weary, somewhat cynical English. The main difference you'll probably notice is litter. The US is much cleaner in my experience.

As someone else mentioned, there's more of a drinking culture here and a Friday/Saturday night in the centre of Manchester or any other city can be a scary experience if you're not used to it.

On the positive side, there's so much more history herei was in Phoenix a few months ago and the oldest building there dates from 1912. In Manchester, the building that Chethams library is 500 years older. Its also far less distance between places although not always easier to get there, particularly if you drive. The roads are far more crowded and not generally suitable for the large volume of cars using them.

Where in the US are you living at the moment?

Phoenix is a huge City, it’s tiresome driving from place to place. I can remember it took me an hour from getting to one part of Phoenix to just the other side of downtown.

American is a brilliant country, it’s got everything for me. Love the food, it has all the four weather seasons, many interesting places to visit.

I can’t stand the grey, dull shit hole we live in.

One thing I dont like about the American culture (besides the guns) is the way they think its ok to be the biggest polluters on the planet, and they dont seem to care about it.

America are world leaders in many things...... including wrecking the planet.

"Almost half of the U.S. population lives in areas where air pollution levels are often dangerously high for them to breathe"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/air-pollution-dangerously-high-for-almost-half-of-us/

Phoenix is a huge City, it’s tiresome driving from place to place. I can remember it took me an hour from getting to one part of Phoenix to just the other side of downtown.

American is a brilliant country, it’s got everything for me. Love the food, it has all the four weather seasons, many interesting places to visit.

I can’t stand the grey, dull shit hole we live in.
Phoenix is brilliant, although baking in summer.
Out in the desert I saw a Hopi Indian boy riding a skewbald pony bareback, doing tricks for tourists, he looked like an even more beautiful Brad Pitt with black hair and eyes, and I've never seen horsemanship like it. I read somewhere that native Americans were the finest light cavalry ever, and after seeing this lad, I can believe it.

You haven't been to the right places then, mate .Yes, New York City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, etc are exactly that. However, many many places in the States aren't that way and despise the "culture" of those cities.

Ive been to a lot of places in the states...those you have mentioned and others as well. New Orleans, Philly on a number of occasions, Chicago again on a number of occasions, Boston, San Diego, Tuscon, Washington, Miami

The nicest cities were Phily and Chicago. But even there there isn't much; Chicago is friendly but not exactly the most exciting place. Philly at least has a bit of an edge to it.

The ones I've not visited that are supposedly different are San Franciso and Seattle.

Saw you mentioned steak. Steaks are better in American restaurants all day long in my experience.

American food is shocking in all aspects compared to food everywhere else. The best food (health wise and just for taste) are the Sount east Asian countries...but then again pallets are such an individual thing that its hard to judge.....

But health wise the US is shocking beyond belief for general eating/food shopping etc

Saw a lecture a few years ago on tv. The lecturer finished it by saying that to maintain the American way of life we need 5 planet earths.
Very sobering thought indeed.

One thing I dont like about the American culture (besides the guns) is the way they think its ok to be the biggest polluters on the planet, and they dont seem to care about it.

America are world leaders in many things...... including wrecking the planet.

"Almost half of the U.S. population lives in areas where air pollution levels are often dangerously high for them to breathe"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/air-pollution-dangerously-high-for-almost-half-of-us/
PMSL there isn’t an American city in the world’s top 500 in airborne particulate matter (Wikipedia, 2016 data). Worst air quality is in China and India. I’ve been to Mexican City and it was awful in terms of both air and water quality.

Saw a lecture a few years ago on tv. The lecturer finished it by saying that to maintain the American way of life we need 5 planet earths.
Very sobering thought indeed.
If you've seen the size of some of the arses over there, we'll need another fucking galaxy.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.