US vs UK culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by roy.or.r, 9 Mar 2018.

1. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

I was sat on a flight next to a cattle executive of a multinational. While I agree that US steak quality is generally far superior to what I have experienced in the UK, he said that American steak taste is less refined than elsewhere in the world, because Americans are anti-fat in their steaks, so marbling is seen as paying for fat (waste), even though it is what tenderizes and luxuriates a good steak. The American consumer wants their steak trimmed to death. But, he said that global tastes are so varied that Americans have “designed” their meat primarily for the home market, as do places that want to (or do) raise their cattle for the American market.

2. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

If you saw what it did to me, and had to work in a very small confined space with me thereafter, you would thank me! ;-)

3. Jalfraag

Jalfraag

Septic Tank - yank.

4. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

1) There are far more safe streets in America than the UK.
    2) Your “Free” NHS is paid for by someone. Maybe you’re on the dole and it’s not you, so maybe it is free to you. However, in general, taxes pay for govt services, you just don’t the bill every month as a line item.

Hope that helps? Doubt it. Everyone has quickly run to their corners Andy appears desperate to defend them at any cost.

FWIW, there are multiple aspects of culture in the US that are FAR superior to the UK, but then the reverse is absolutely true, too!

5. Jalfraag

Jalfraag

Some of the places I've worked wouldn't even have an olive garden. There's far worse in your country. The culinary delights of South Dakota spring to mind.

6. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

That’s quite tortured “Cockney Rhyming slang.” Speaking of which, CRS, really? Jalfraag, what is that Brummie for eBay ladies clothing seller?

Born in Torquay, while my Dad was playing for Torquay FC and raised in and around Manc (Macc, Withy, Radcliffe, Mossley). Family all still live there and I have a season ticket (East Stand Level 2). Don’t confuse where I choose to live and work with who I am.

Hope that is enough, or do you need birth certificate and passport picture page?!

7. nimrod

nimrod

It is what it is..

8. Jalfraag

Jalfraag

Born in Manchester and lived there 31 years mate.
    American food is still shite.

9. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Those two thoughts: Culinary delights and South Dakota, may never have been said in the same breath before. Bravo!

That’s like saying the Kebab House down the street is indicative of British cuisine. Oh wait....! ;-)

10. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Ok. I guess you are the arbiter of global taste. My bad.