US vs UK culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by roy.or.r, 9 Mar 2018.

1. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

I’m not knocking it. I think the NHS is a good thing and I love England. Just answering a slam.

2. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

I remember looking at a menu there and saying "Is there anything that doesn't involve cheese?". And I think that was in a Cornish Pasty restaurant.

3. roj

roj

You’re a red circle?! ;)

4. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

I did that trip a couple of times last November and was so lucky with the weather, which was sunny and very pleasant although the temperature was only in the mid-50's. It was high 80's in Phoenix, 2 hours to the south. At the Grand Canyon they said it had been snowing that day the previous year.

5. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

I’ve taken to simply saying “no cheese of any kind on that, thank you!” Half the time, they look at me like I’m an idiot, because there was no cheese listed on the menu or it doesn’t come with cheese. The other half, I save myself the time and trouble of returning the food for a plate without cheese...as was listed on the menu!!

Makes life a whole lot easier! Cheese seems to be considered a garnish or condiment in many places. In the airplane, cheese is on almost everything, because it melts and adds moisture to meals that are essentially precooked and being reheated! I have to order special meals, just to try to avoid it, and even then it doesn’t always work!

6. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

My point about the NHS was you said it wasn't good value, but that is plainly not true. Ask its customers, the vast majority are happy. And thank you for pointing out how it's funded - always did wonder!*

For your other point, what you are saying (originally) is that when our pubs/clubs close, nearly ALL our streets are more dangerous than nearly ALL yours. I just don't know where to begin with that.

*sarcasm

7. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

The entire country likes tea, probably northern England the most of all.

8. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

And yet there are more Irish decendents living in both than the insignificant giant potato farm you call home.

9. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Yep. Don't invade, infest. You lot never learned.

10. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

Well that statement has no relevance to myself as I have Irish ancestry on my mother’s side.