US vs UK culture

Many people here don’t value putting the time in to buy quality groceries and cook them. They’ll come up with every reason under the sun as to why they are “too busy.” Moreover, they lack self control. And if you tell them that the key to good health is to eat properly and get some exercise they’ll look at you with dispair like you’ve asked them to work physics problems. I don’t buy that we necessarily exported this to the rest of the world though.
It's the same in the UK now, ready meals rule. When I tell people I cook from scratch every day, they look at me as tho I were mad. The idea that proper cooking is too time consuming is not true, just an excuse to slump in front of the telly.

We have a thriving drinking culture here in the UK

If you’ve gone from India to US then it’s not exactly gonna be a culture shock going from US to UK. It may feel a bit old, cold, dirty and cramped but as far as the people are concerned, we’re broadly into the same stuff, with millions of little differences if you look closely.

If you’re really interested and enjoy reading, then ‘Watching the English’ by Kate Fox is informative and amusing.

It's the same in the UK now, ready meals rule. When I tell people I cook from scratch every day, they look at me as tho I were mad. The idea that proper cooking is too time consuming is not true, just an excuse to slump in front of the telly.
There's plenty of folk on here who'd disagree.

We can spell things the right way and know the difference between an arse and a tiny horse

I know that people in London particularly like tea and since I am basically from Calcutta where everyone loves tea, I think that would be a good place to start. I hardly find Americans having tea at Cafes.

I find UK culture is moving towards the same kind of culture as the US.
We even get offended at everything these days, and try to get a claim in every little thing we think there's money to be won.

There are many Americas. There's an enormous difference between Arkansas and California. In weather, topography, food, ethnicity mix, culture, people, language, income levels and lots more. It might as well be two different nations.

Brits will claim there's some enormous difference between South Yorkshire and Somerset when about the only difference is that Merchant and Ivory made some irritating films about the latter and South Yorkshire had coal once.
True about America. The east is very different to the west and the southern states are completely different to the northern ones.

People in the US are generally more friendly & open than we are in the UK. They tend to be very up-front whereas we are generally a bit more reserved.

Americans tend to have more national & civic pride than the world-weary, somewhat cynical English. The main difference you'll probably notice is litter. The US is much cleaner in my experience.

As someone else mentioned, there's more of a drinking culture here and a Friday/Saturday night in the centre of Manchester or any other city can be a scary experience if you're not used to it.

On the positive side, there's so much more history herei was in Phoenix a few months ago and the oldest building there dates from 1912. In Manchester, the building that Chethams library is 500 years older. Its also far less distance between places although not always easier to get there, particularly if you drive. The roads are far more crowded and not generally suitable for the large volume of cars using them.

Where in the US are you living at the moment?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.