US vs UK culture

US has guns. UK doesn't.

this is one of the main differences, which means the streets of our cities are safer in the UK. 30,000 gun deaths per year in US, 50 - 100 per yea in UK (uk population about 20% of US population).
Other main difference is free healthcare UK for everyone.

other than that its pretty similar as far as I can see. My perspective is based on being english with an american wife.

I think some of the bigger cultural differences are the impact South Asia has had. The influence of the region here feels much more significant than in the states, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Overall I think it's for the better, but there are some high profile negatives if you expand the geography a little beyond Afghanistan.

Biscuits and Gravy. Squirty cheese. Grits. Dirt.

I love America, go nearly every year but to say they have culture is a massive lie.
Biscuits and gravy my arse. It's a greasy scone covered in a pasty white sauce. About as far from buiscuit and gravy as duck eggs are to fish.

Its harder to park your car in the UK, banks etc dont have their own car parks so you have to park half a mile away.

Also the actual space you get for your car in car parks is much smaller.

Its harder to park your car in the UK, banks etc dont have their own car parks so you have to park half a mile away.

Also the actual space you get for your car in car parks is much smaller.
The revolting "food" they somehow eat "trumps" that though.

There's a big difference in levels of happiness I find, as an outsider to both countries.

The last time I visited the UK i collected my suitcase at the airport and made my way to Avis rental car desk, with whom I had booked a hire car, there were 3 people sat behind the desk staring at computer screens, not one of them looked up when I stood there, I had to say 'excuse me'.........one of them managed to lift her head to speak to me, they looked like the 3 most miserable people in the world, whereas when I arrived in the States and did the same thing I was greeted with a smiley 'Good morning' and some friendly chatter about my flight and other things. Makes a big difference after a 20 hour flight.
The yanks are a positive bunch !

One big difference I dont think anyone has mentioned is the tipping culture, like the UK, we dont tip in Oz generally, in the US if you dont tip at least 15% for fucking everything, your a twat, its an annoying part of the American culture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.