"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

I hope you are right but payment-based services still need to attract subscribers and will inevitably gravitate to the clubs with the biggest world-wide fanbases (ie not us) I am just not convinced that any of the journalists working in football in the UK are good enough to attract a following. What we have here is lots of writers (some of them good) but very few proper journalists who know how to seek out exclusive stories. Most football reporters operate as a pack and after press conferences they work together on an agreed angle for them all to use. They do this to cover their backs and it explains why they are often behind the news with the main stories.
Paid for content websites can't survive without exclusive content.
You never know, there might be a lot of good writers that are working for editors who are only interested in clickbait.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure it follows just from the identity of the owners. There's a lot of people outside Boston who don't like people from Boston, and there's a lot of people from outside Florida that don't like the Glazers. MUFC have not been a spectacular success story in the US, and MCFC usually gets fairer treatment in the US press than at home, which may be an indicator of where the new player's editorial stance will lie.

That’s so true - I don’t know the detail but Boston folk are loathed across the US. Glaziers are disliked even in Florida largely as a consequence of their management of the Bucks who’ve become perennial underachievers on the lowest wage budget allowed in the NFL.

That’s so true - I don’t know the detail but Boston folk are loathed across the US. Glaziers are disliked even in Florida largely as a consequence of their management of the Bucks who’ve become perennial underachievers on the lowest wage budget allowed in the NFL.
Can confirm, fuck Boston and their spoiled pompous fans

It's an interesting business model. Instead of the current situation where the nationals have to pander to the inherent bias of the dippers and rags in order to survive in a mass market, it sounds like this will be very segmented, with writers producing content that directly targets the supporters of individual clubs.

It makes sense really. Why zero in on the supporters of 2 or 3 big clubs, whilst alienating pretty much everyone else, when you can produce niche content that appeals to everyone on a club-by-club basis? Getting a British audience to pay for content will be a huge challenge though.

One thing's for sure... The dinosaurs that get left behind at the newspapers will treat those that jump ship as pariahs and will do all they can to put hurdles in their way. Because if this is a success, it will be the final nail in the coffin of sports print media.

Good post... it worth considering how much worse the football content in the Newspapers will get when the likes of Kay and Samuel have been creamed off. This is probably a landmark moment in sports journalism as the printed media disappears and we get a far more targeted and dynamic offering behind a paywall that we can read on our tablets at leisure.

I am a subscriber, and I can tell you their writing staff are top notch, at least when it comes to other sports.

Sounds like they’ve got David Ornstein from the BBC now as well. Another coup for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.