Used family car advice needed - £10k budget

Tricky_Trev

I’ll be honest, I know the square root of fuck all about cars, so thought I’d tap into bluemoon’s collective knowledge for some help.

I haven’t driven for about 7 years, but with a little one on the way I now need to get back on the road. So looking for a practical family car, need decent boot space, ISOFIX points, needs to be safe. Comfort and drive quality would be nice little bonuses but I know I need to compromise somewhere and they are not as important to me as space and practicality.

Also, I know that I want petrol not diesel, I want used (maybe 2-3 years old?) not new, and I also want an automatic. Not for everyone I know, but with it being so long since I last drove a car, having one less thing to think about when I’ve got a kid on board would be ideal. And we spend half our time stuck in traffic anyway, so I like the idea of no clutch!

Regarding budget, I could probably stretch to £11k or even £12k for the perfect car for my needs, but if it’s doable for less, that’s great.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There’s just hundreds of options I don’t know where to begin!

Cheers

VW Golf would defo be on my list with your criteria. Plenty of others to consider in that class though.

As the above poster says, leasing is a great option these days and you’d get something decent for £200/month. Check out personal contract purchase if you want to buy it at the end of its lease. Or contract hire (cheaper) if you just want to hand it back.

3 kids.

I've got a Skoda Kodiaq 4x4. ISOFIX points in the back plus 2 pop-up seats in the boot (no ISOFIX). Boot is huge, automatic, great car. Check some reviews on YouTube. I don't know if it fits budget wise but worth a look.

Would you not consider leasing? You can get plenty of new family SUV's for £200 a month.
If it’s the best way to go, I could be convinced. My logic could be flawed, but if the car I buy is in good condition, low-ish mileage, I’d be hoping to get the best part of a decade out of it, averaging roughly 10k miles a year. Ok, there’s repairs to factor in, but it seems cheaper in the long run? I do like the crossover/SUV style though

Very low on the scale of reliability Im afraid.

Buy a new or nearly new Kia, 7 year warranty, reliable, well made, you cant go wrong.
I do like the look of the Kia Sportage. Need to check if it’s available as an automatic within my budget

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.